What size alternator is fitted to your engines and what is the
capacity of your battery banks? If your alternators are different
than the standard alternator fitted to the Sabb G engine, what is the
model number and brand?

Thanks,

Rod
S/V IDUNA

Hi Rod,

Well, I've gone through a couple of different alternators but I've pretty much settled on the Delco 35 amp'er sold in auto parts stores. I use a cutout switch to put out a charge of 20 to 25 amps when on anchor and the batteries are low. For batteries I use two sets of 6-volt golf-cart batts(Trojan) that I think amount to about 400 ah. I also have three 36 watt solar panels which will normally keep things running and the batts up unless I need to do a lot of outside varnishing. Varnishing requires a lot of good music driving four speakers which eats up power.

I use propane for refrigeration and not much else other than lights. No SSB, radar,  electric auto-pilots, fixed GPS or other big draw-ers.

Hope this info is helpful.

Stan of Waxwing hull#22

Do You Yahoo!? LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
Stan:

Thanks for the information.

We are in the "planning/installation" stages for upgrading IDUNA's battery  storage capacity.  We though four T-105 golf cart batteries would do the trick.  As on your engine, IDUNA's Sabb is fitted with a 35 amp alternator.  The alternator is undersized for the ~450 amp-hr capacity of the planned battery bank, hence we like the idea of solar panels.  Apparently, three solar panels coupled with the 35 amp alternator works for you.

Where are  your batteries located?

Are they in battery boxes  - purchased or custom?

Where are your solar panels located?

Are your panels flex-panels or hard panels?

At present Iduna is fitted with one ~44 watt hard solar panel located on the bumpkin.  We have purchased Blue Sea battery boxes - two golf cart batteries per box.  Fitting them on either side of the lazarett is a challenge but I believe it is possible.  I suspect, I will have to slide the boxes to the center to install the batteries in them then slide the boxes to their mounting position.

Fair Winds,

Rod
S/V  IDUNA

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 8:22 PM
Subject: Re: [bcc] ALTERNATOR FOR SABB ENGINE

Hi Rod,

Well, I've gone through a couple of different alternators but I've pretty much settled on the Delco 35 amp'er sold in auto parts stores. I use a cutout switch to put out a charge of 20 to 25 amps when on anchor and the batteries are low. For batteries I use two sets of 6-volt golf-cart batts(Trojan) that I think amount to about 400 ah. I also have three 36 watt solar panels which will normally keep things running and the batts up unless I need to do a lot of outside varnishing. Varnishing requires a lot of good music driving four speakers which eats up power.

I use propane for refrigeration and not much else other than lights. No SSB, radar,  electric auto-pilots, fixed GPS or other big draw-ers.

Stan of Waxwing hull#22

Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience

Where do you have your solar panels mounted?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 5:23 PM
To: bcc@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [bcc] ALTERNATOR FOR SABB ENGINE

Hi Rod,

Stan of Waxwing hull#22

Do You Yahoo!?
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience