anchor windlass

I’m about to replace my ABI windlass with an electric one, and would like some advice. I posted about a year ago on the same subject and was advised to look into the Muir Atlantic series, but I have decided on a horizontal windlass, and now interested in the Lofrans Kobra. Does anyone have experience with this unit, or can advise on an alternative?

Thanks,

Jon Lang, Jolie Brise

Jon:

I have a Muir Atlantic 1000 on my boat and think it is great. I remember Dick and Tommy commenting that it seemed to be a better piece than the Maxwell version that Sam Morse listed as an option. The quality is great (they even sold me one in bronze without the chrome finish). I know that Muir makes a Compact series, vertical windlass. Might be worth a look.

Tom

The Muir Atlantic 1000 may be a little under sized for our application.
Working load 125lbs
Maximum load 500lbs

I was working up the numbers the other day for 300’ 5/16HT & 35lb CQR, the combined weight x 3 put us around 1000 Lb. desired load capacity.

We are still looking around at other options, for now our ABI still works find. One of the problems we encountered is the helmsman can not hear directions over the drone of Yanmar and hand signals are less than optimal with the dodger blocking the view of the foredeck, we may invest in a wireless intercom system for better communicatons.

We considered insulating the engine compartment, however the prospect of future shedding foam particles and heat retention we found less desireable, if anything, we would want better ventilation of the engine compartment to reduce heat buildup.

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: tharrer
Username: tharrer
Subject: Re: anchor windlass
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4060,4061#msg-4061

Jon:

I have a Muir Atlantic 1000 on my boat and think it is great. I remember Dick and Tommy commenting that it seemed to be a better piece than the Maxwell version that Sam Morse listed as an option. The quality is great (they even sold me one in bronze without the chrome finish). I know that Muir makes a Compact series, vertical windlass. Might be worth a look.

Tom

Jon/Marty:

The numbers in Marty’s post are Muir capacities in Kgs not pounds. Current Muir specs for the Atlantic 1000 are 1100 pounds max load and 275 pounds working. I carry 120 ft. of 5/16HT tied to 150 feet of 9/16" line. Given our Great Lakes anchoring depths, I hardly ever get into the line but it is there if I get surprised by a big blow. The biggest anchor I carry is a 40 pound fisherman (storm and junk bottoms). With my set up, I am well within the 3X total gear weight for max windlass capacity.
Again, I am very happy with my windlass and end up cranking it in with a small winch handle most of the time so as not to disturb neighbors early in the morning.

For what it's worth...............Tom

The information I send were copied from an advertisement on Ebay from the Muir distributor for the Atlantis 1000, aparently the have a typo.

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:Author: tharrer
Username: tharrer
Subject: Re: [BCC Forum Post] tharrer: Re: anchor windlass
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4060,4082#msg-4082

Jon/Marty:

The numbers in Marty’s post are Muir capacities in Kgs not pounds. Current Muir specs for the Atlantic 1000 are 1100 pounds max load and 275 pounds working. I carry 120 ft. of 5/16HT tied to 150 feet of 9/16" line. Given our Great Lakes anchoring depths, I hardly ever get into the line but it is there if I get surprised by a big blow. The biggest anchor I carry is a 40 pound fisherman (storm and junk bottoms). With my set up, I am well within the 3X total gear weight for max windlass capacity.
Again, I am very happy with my windlass and end up cranking it in with a small winch handle most of the time so as not to disturb neighbors early in the morning.

For what it’s worth…Tom