BCC Powered By Outboard?

I received some potentially bad news over the weekend regarding the condition of my 1981 Yanmar 3GM30F. A major rebuild or replacement may be necessary. One option that came up in a worst case scenario is mounting an outboard on the stern. Is this a viable alternative for powering a BCC?

The heavy displacement of the BCC has probably deterred some from going this route, and the need to carry gasoline on board and the loss of electrical generation are two other deterrents. Clawing ones way off a lee shore without the help of a substantial engine and other such happenstances would be other negatives. Also diesel fuel, engine parts, and maintenance fees are not going anywhere but up. On the positive side, I know of a number of BCCs that are engineless in the Pardey tradition of going simple, and the availability of an empty engine room for storage can be enticing for cruisers, as is the simple notion that overall operating costs drop. Funds can instead be spent on improving other aspects of the boat. Sailing skills would by necessity need to be of the highest order, which is of course a good thing.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Warren,
I just today installed an outboard engine bracket on a Falmouth Cutter. The bracket is made of aluminum and is mounted across the boomkin. The bracket is easily removed, has no holes through the boomkin to hold it on and it even looks pretty. Jerry Kovach who owns the Falmouth Cutter wanted a bracket that required no holes to mount it. I designed this bracket in an attempt to avoid drilling holes ANYWHERE and have it removeable and stowable. I’m sure Jerry will share pictures. The design could, I’m sure, be adapted to a BCC.

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise

Very interesting. I like the timing and the fact there are no holes anywhere! I’d be very interested in seeing some pictures. As you did the design, could you comment on how the bracket might affect windvane placement. I have a Monitor aboard Voyager.

Could you please forward Jerry’s contact info?

Warren,
Good question. Since I mounted this on a Falmouth Cutter I am not sure how it would work with a Monitor. I would have to look at our boat and see. We have a Monitor but is unmounted at present. Jerry can be found on the Falmouth Cutter Forum.

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise

I ran my BCC, #4, that was built engineless, with a 10hp Johnson outboard on an articulated bracket mounted on the transom. The good was that it was simple and cheap, and I really missed the huge storage area when I put in a diesel. The bad is: hard to lower the outboard to the bracket, barely pushed the boat in any wind or current, no easy to reach controls, no good spot for the gas tank, no good spot to store the outboard, no reverse. Once, under the pervious owner, the engineless boat was stolen, and recovered (full of stolen Navy machine guns, grenades, and other guns), because the thieves couldn’t sail - so there are security benefits to no motor.

I remember a calm day just north of the San Rafael bridge in SF Bay. Ebb tide, no wind, and just for fun I tried to fight the current with that outboard. I lost, and went south spinning sideways at the mercy of the tide. There were some memorable times getting back into the San Rafael channel against the wind as well. It got me all over the bay, but I hated that outboard (still have it in the garage, hasn’t been started since the last day on the BCC in '94).

I put the engine in before my cruise, so I never found out how it would have been out in the real world with that outboard. If you do it, mount easy to reach controls, and make sure the bracket locks in the down position. It worked, but I would not recommend the outboard after using one for a year on a BCC. There were many placed I visited on my cruise to Mexico that I would have missed without an engine, so, in practical terms, I cannot recommend engineless either.

Respectfully,

Todd Chocholaty
Dallas, Texas

Nanni?!? Why destroy value? You should be in the business of adding to value, not destroying it, Warren.

Removing an inboard from a BCC28 and replacing it with an outboard has a few advantages (reduced mass) but many disadvantages: you’d be turning an ocean cruiser into something fit only for calm harbour waters.

Voyager is in Nippon, no? The place with a very large installed base of Yanmar 3GM engines? Where old rice paddy tilling machines, powered by 3GM engines, are scrapped for v low prices? Where most any village, in a rice growing area, has a workshop that can rebuild 3GM engines?

Or treat Voyager to a new YM engine. Same footprint as GM, but more power and quieter and smoother. And increase value for your own use and for resale.

What would Yamaoka Magokichi san say?

Cheers

Bil

Todd-- Thanks for the comments; they’re the kind of comment I was hoping to hear from BCC sailors who have sailed with an outboard. Clearly you advise against what was clearly inadequate for your needs. Just out of curiosity, have you strung up that outboard on a rafter in the garage and let her slowly twist in the wind? :wink:

Bill-san,

Konnichiwa. Thanks for the advice. I hope I’ve been building value back into Voyager from the day I bought her. Lord knows my bank account would testify to that. But the engine problem was unexpected, as I’m sure it usually is.

I knew the 3GMs were popular with farmers (my wife is from a rice-farming family), but I wasn’t aware of the workshops. Will have to check into that.

In truth, I’d prefer to drop in a YM, but have foolishly (D’oh!) misplaced my Commodore’s coat, the one with the US$35K in the breast pocket :slight_smile:

And who is this Yamaoka Magokichi? The "Yama’ in Yanmar?

Warren

edited for spelling

Yamaoka Magokichi [???O??] established the Yamaoka Hatsudoki Kosakusho [???k??C??? Yamaoka Engine Works] in Osaka in March 1912.

In 1921, Mr Yamaoka started using Yanmar as the name for the model of engines used in the rice padi harrowers and harvesters his company built. Mr Yamaoka originally wanted to use the Japanese for dragonfly, ??tonbo??, a symbol of a good harvest. But the brand name Tonbo was already used by a soy sauce manufacturer, so he compromised with a truncated version of the name of the biggest dragonfly species in Japan, ??oniyanma??, the pronunciation of which was reminiscent of the pronunciation of the first ideograph (yama) in his family name.

The company produced what it claims was the world??s first practical small diesel engine, the HB series of 5 ?C 6 HP, in 1933. The company changed its name to Yanmar Diesel Engine Ltd [???`???] in 1952 and again to Yanmar Co. Ltd., in 2002.

Yamaoka Magokichi died in 1962; his descendants continue to control and operate the Yanmar group of companies.

** you should see kanji and kana inside the square brackets. But due to me being more Chinese than Japanese, you’ll only see the correct kanji and kana if you right click, choose Encoding, and select Chinese Simplified (GB2312). Sorry about that!

I’m in Malaysia, away from Zygote, at the moment. The auto wreckers yards here are sprinkled with 3GM engines from padi harrowers etc. Bargain prices! I’ve even seen one Yanmar diesel outboard engine in a local auto wrecker yard (a lot of weight to put on the transom! Yanmar has been v careful not to allow its diesel outboards to be exported to the US, for fear of the consequences associated with clean air acts).

Cheers

Bil

wfraser Wrote:

In truth, I’d prefer to drop in a YM, but have
foolishly (D’oh!) misplaced my Commodore’s coat,
the one with the US$35K in the breast pocket :slight_smile:

Where did this number come from? You can buy a new
YM and have it installed for way less than that.

• Norris

Hi Warren,

I bought my BBC about a year ago, built engineless with an outboard on the transom. The outboard was two cycle + kind of cranky so I replaced it with a extra long shaft four cycle. I just only use it to get in + out of the harbor and it works great for that. I don’t think it would be suitable in a seaway, even with the extra long shaft it comes out of the water in rough seas. Let me know if you would like a couple of snapshots.

Tim