Boat Cover Pattern

Hello,

I searched the archives but could not find anything.

It looks like people have had custom full winter covers made for their BCCs but does anyone have a pattern? I don’t have much money and am interested in sewing it up myself.

Thanks,

Ben
Vixen, Hull #2

Ben:

Lenora made a cover for IDUNA. I believe there are pictures in the BCC gallery under the Album “IDUNA.”

The design is similar to a tent and is comprised of three sections which zip together. The difficult section was the aft section and fitting the cloth around the gallows, etc. AFter we started storing the boat on the hard for the winter, Lenora added a skirt to the edges, thus extending the cover and protecting the boat more. If you live in a heavy snow area, you will need to put some type of frame under the cover.

Rod

Ahhh, I see. The sections run latitudinally.

Luckily I live in Seattle and large amounts of snow are not usually a serious consideration. Yes, the skirts would be nice as well.

Thanks Rod

Ben:

I will ask Lenora about how she made the cover and the material tonight.

Rod

Ben:

The fabric we used for the cover is Odyssey III.

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Marine_and_Boat_Cover/Odyssey_III/index.html

Lenora took measurements from the boat, i.e. boom to bulwarks, etc. We also rigged the whisker pole from the mast (boom level) to just forward of the bow, such that the whisker pole end is about 2’ above the bow and about 2’ extending beyond the bow. The whisker pole is lashed to the staysail stay. I wrap a rage around the whisker pole where it rests against the stay. Determine where the slots for the stanchions should be cut was difficult.

Hope that helps.

Rod

Thank you Rod, this is very helpful. I’ll get one sewed up this summer. I’ll try and take some dimensions and document the project and perhaps someone else will be able to use it.

I have the Gaff-rigged version though, not sure if that would seriously alter dimensions for the sloops.

Take Care!

Ben

Ben:

The next time I visit the boat, I will snap a few photos of the cover with my iPhone and send them to you.

Regarding your gaff rigged BCC. I am jealous in a good way. The book “Hand Reef and Steer” by Tom Cunliffe (ISBN 0-924486-40-6) is an excellent text on gaff rigged vessels and how to sail them. The other book is “Classic Boat Seamanship” (ISBN0-7136-3606-8) by Martin Tregoning. Both books are very good. The authors are English and have significant experience sailing gaff rigged vessel. Tregoning book is written in a dry British style, whereas Cunliffe’s is written in a modern style but not as scholarly or in depth as Tregoning" Classic Boat Seamanship.

Rod

Ben:

The next time I visit the boat, I will snap a few photos of the cover with my iPhone and send them to you.

Regarding your gaff rigged BCC. I am jealous in a good way. The book “Hand Reef and Steer” by Tom Cunliffe (ISBN 0-924486-40-6) is an excellent text on gaff rigged vessels and how to sail them. The other book is “Classic Boat Seamanship” (ISBN0-7136-3606-8) by Martin Tregoning. Both books are very good. The authors are English and have significant experience sailing gaff rigged vessel. Tregoning book is written in a dry British style, whereas Cunliffe’s is written in a modern style but not as scholarly or in depth as Tregoning" Classic Boat Seamanship.

Rod

Cunliffe’s and Tregoning’s bookcovers

Hello,

If this is the problem then you may go for sewing your boat cover otherwise you may purchase old boat cover from me I brought right now but it does not fits on my boat…

Reply…

Check link to view covers: http://www.nationalboatcovers.com/

Thank you :slight_smile: