Careening

Ok folks I’ll start the new thread on this subject. One of the questions is how the BCC might recover if it was careened, but more so how would it recover from being grounded for example in a mud flat. Perhaps caught by the tide following an unintentional grounding. Would it flood on the incoming tide?

When I think of it I suppose one might place an inflatable on the beach side when careening to try and limit any scuffing, I am not quite sure what the inflatable might say, my suspicion is if it was a bit soft it may handle it fine.

So anybody been here before who could shed a bit of light on this?

I believe the BCC will refloat; your keel will still be at the lowest point, and, as water surrounds the side of the vessel, and as soon as enough area is coverered, it will gain bouyancy and start to lift. The only opposing force is the weight of the rig, but that isn’t enough to stop flotation.

There is a potential problem if you careen in soft mud, the mud could take the shape of the hull and create a suction, but that would be rare.

There are many harbors around the world that dry out completely at low tide, and vessels of all shapes and types refloat, the hull is the bouyant part of the vessel.

John Cole is correct, our BCC’s will float right back up when there is enough water under them.

As the water receeds and the hull starts tilting with the keel on the bottom, there comes a point when there isn’t enough water, and the hull just lays over, with a plop, if I can use that word.

When the water comes back, there is a point when the hull starts floating back up, quite like magic !!!

I have never heard of down flooding yet , does anyone have a story about that ?

I heard of one situation where the mud was so soft that the suction of the mud held the hull down longer then normal, so that there was fear of downflooding, and it evidently got up to the portholes, but magically, like you say, she popped out of the mud in time.

wives tale? who knows… just make sure the mud isnt too sticky i guess.

A BCC has the perfect design for Careening. I have careened my boat many times. There are some issues to consider. 1. Like mentioned above, soft mud can create a suction and delay floating. 2. The location should be free of waves from wind or other boats. You do not want your boat’s side bouncing off the bottom. 3. If the bottom is anything less than perfect, you can set tires under the hull as she settles. 4. It is best if you can find a sand beach with a slight incline. Make certain to fall the boat on the high side or up hill.

Here in Panama where we have 18 foot tides make it ideal for careening. However, accidents happen. A large, beautiful traditional boat sank as a result of a raising tide. The owners left their boat for the day. They were aware of the tides but not aware of the extreme tides. They knew their boat might set on the bottom but they were not concerned because they had previously careened their boat. Unknown to them, they had anchored on knoll or an underwater hill. While they were away, their boat changed position. As the tide went out the boat fell downhill so the keel was higher than it should have been. When the tide returned, the boat filled with water before it could begin to float.

Roger

This is all good stuff folks, I guess checking out the beach before careening would be prudent. I know some folks who lay the chain from the anchor along one side just to get the cant started to the beach side, or perhaps running the main halyard to a tree would be even easier?

Thanks for the response it is nice to know what might happen before it does.

Incidentally I think hull 126 is about one month away from completion, I shall leave the rigging until the spring.