Design Date Bristol Channel Cutter

Old issues of Sea (January thru June 77) on eBay right now do not include the article.

I have - a couple of months later than planned - scanned and created an on-line version of the Sam L Morse Co piece about the BCC that was published as an advertorial by Cruising World magazine in February 1977.

You should be able to find it by pointing your browser to: Katshegne - Zygote . Look for ‘Down the Ways’.

I’m only learning how to work around some of the limitations of free websites on Google Sites, so my page is not perfect. The lower graphic - showing a suggested cabin layout - was not in high resolution in the original.

The piece has some historical value. I thought that devoting a para to the retractable bowsprit was interesting - suggesting that Sam Morse thought the bowsprit was a hard sell in the marketplace.

Cheers

Bil

Great stuff Bil, thanks for posting that!

Thanks to Dan of BCC Shaula, I’ve been able to read and digitise a copy of Cris Caswell’s column, “Boat & Owner: Hale Field and Fram”, that appeared in the June 1976 issue of Sea magazine.

The article adds a little to our understanding of how the BCC design came to be.

You should be able to read the text of Caswell’s article by pointing your browser to: Katshegne - Zygote and looking for the relevant link.

Cheers

Bil

I’m sorry. I did not recognize the article until I saw the text.

It is actually available on this website here http://www.samlmorse.com/?a=old_reviews

I only just came across this site. My name is Geoff Spry and I was the original owner of Kikorangi ( Maori for Blue sky). My girlfriend at the time (later my wife) was a Kiwi and I am an Aussie. During our stay in San Francisco my brother Andy was with us.
Sam and Betty Morse were very kind to us during our time in Costa Mesa, where we were helping finish our boat.
I had committed to a job as a family doctor in Canada so after attempting to beat up the coast in fog ( May 1978) and with ongoing engine problems ( the water lift was improperly installed and kept flooding the Volvo Penta engine) we returned to San Francisco and left the boat with another BCC owner ( I think that must have been you Stan). Once settled in Canada we had her trucked to Seattle and then sailed her up to Port Hardy near the northern end of Vancouver Island. We got married and started a family so, unfortunately, our dream of cruising evaporated. After a few years we reluctantly sold her to someone on Vancouver Island. We saw her a few years later tied up in the inner harbour of Victoria, B.C’s capital.
It was nice to see the thread that Kikorangi is now on the east coast of the USA.