Dorade Box Project

I just started to post photos of IDUNA’s Dorade Box Project. The first set of photos show the boxes before they were cut to match the curvature of the cabin top. The cow vents are 4" cast bronze manufactured by Mariners Hardware - http://www.marinershardware.com/ . In addition, the GRP mounting bracket blanks and molds are shown. When finished the brackets will be bonded to the cabin top. The dorade boxes will fit over the brackets and fastened to the brackets with bronze machine screws.

The dorade boxes are designed to be mounted athwartship between the skylight hatch and the seahood.

As the project moves along and photos taken, I will post them in the project section of the gallery.

Fair Winds,

IDUNA

Hello Rod

Looked at the dorade pics. Great project, one I was considering. Was wondering if you are going to radius the corners and top edges.
Best to you
Mark

Rod & Lenora,
Thanks for taking the time to post project pics. They make the sight a much more interesting place to visit. Beautiful dorade boxes. I am looking forward to seeing them on your boat.
Wayne
BCC Odyssey

Wayne:

Thanks for the kind words. My hope is that others can use the photo information for ideas or similar projects. I am very open about IDUNA’s projects and am more the willing to help others at the forum.

This forum is a good place to share ideas and information.

Rod

Rod,
Great project. Waiting for the installed pics. Just curious if you are going to radius the corners and top of the box.

Best to you
Mark

Mark:

The corners will be radius, as will the top edges of the box. I will do this after I fit the boxes and brackets to the boat. Once these are in place, I can remove the boxes by removing the machine screws holding the boxes to their respective brackets.

After the fitting stage, I need to add a “dam” across the top lids to prevent water from running on the underside of the lid and dripping down the GRP standpipe vent opening in the cabin top. The lids will be glued to the boxes.

Cheers,

Mark

I just added more photos of the Dorade Box Project to the gallery upload section of the forum. These show the box after it was fitted to the cabin top and the bottom of the box cut to match the curvature of the cabin top. Additional photos show box details and the GRP bracket blanks after sanding and fairing.

Fair Winds,

IDUNA

Rod,

Looks beautiful…nice work…You’ll have to keep the bronze polished of course.
What glue did you use…epoxy?
Best to you
Mark

Mark:

I used epoxy with cotton micro-fibers to glue the boxes together. I wanted to use DAP resorcinol glue but it difficult to find in our area. Prior to gluing, I wetted out all glue contact surfaces with clear epoxy.

I recently found a source of resorcinol glue at Wicks Aircraft Supply - http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_cat.php/subid=38/index.html . I need to make new pin rails for IDUNA and will laminate up the blanks using resorcinol glue. These will either be made out of quarter sawn Douglas fir or Iroko.

The bronze will be left to weather and develop a beautiful patina protective coat.

Thanks for the kind works about the boxes.

Cheers,

Rod