Fraud warning

For some years a person known as Dan Holton has been claiming to be the owner of Sam L. Morse Company, and has, we understand, recently borrowed $12,000 on the strength of it.

It would appear that when Roger was owner of Sam L. Morse Company he was approached by someone of that name who was interested in purchasing the company. As we all know, that transaction never came to fruition.

The name cropped up again a while later when Xiphius was for sale in Thailand, and someone called Dan Holton entered into intense negotiations and then disappeared.

Recently the name has cropped up again, in respect of a $12,000 loan. During correspondence Mr. Horton claims the following:

“GOT BACK ABOUT AN HOUR AGO. GREAT TRIP AND WILL BE DOING ANOTHER ON THE 16TH. I AM QUITE SURPRISED THAT YOU DID NOT KNOW THAT I SAIL. HAVE BEEN SAILING FOR 50 YEARS AND HAVE OWNED A SAILBOAT MANUFACTURING FIRM SINCE 1999. YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT IN FERENC MATE’S BOOKS - BEST BOATS (BRISTOL CHANNEL CUTTER / FALMOUTH CUTTER). I HAVE OWNED MY BCC SINCE 1990 AND IT PWAS ON THE FRONT COVER OF HIS FIRST FOUR EDITIONS (WHILE ROGER OWNED IT). MATE NOW HAS TWO RELATIVELY NEW EDITIONS - WORLDS BEST BOATS - VOLUME I AND VOLUME II. WE HAVE A SIX PAGE SPREAD IN EACH BOOK INCLUDING THE LAST TWO EDITIONS AND MATE HAS CONCLUDED IN EACH OF HIS EDITIONS THAT THE BCC IS THE BEST HANDMADE BOAT IN THE WORLD. WE MAKE 2-1/2 BOATS PER YEAR AND ARE NOW ON HULL NUMBERS 132 AND 133 SINCE INCEPTION OF THE FIRM IN 1977. 121 OF OUR SAILBOATS HAVE MADE CIRCUMNAVIGATIONS. WE HAVE JUST CLOSED OUR FACILITY IN COSTA MESA AND HAVE A NEW BUILDING UNDER CONSTRUCTION IN BELLINGHAM, WASHINGTON.
AGAIN, I CANNOT IMAGINE THAT YOU DID NOT KNOW THAT I AM AN AVID SAILOR.
I WILL DEPARTING ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND IN EARLY MAY TO SINGLE HAND DELIVER HULL NUMBER 127 TO LANDSEND, ENGLAND. IN EARLY JUNE I WILL BE SAILING A HUNTER 34 FROM LANDSEND TO CALAIS FOR THE SON OF THE FELLOW THAT BOUGHT HULL 127.”

The truth behind the ownership of Sam L. Morse is known to us all, and the story about delivering a vesssel to Landsend England is also a fabrication, if he was sailing there he would know two things: “Landsend” is actually two words, “Land’s End”, and there is no harbor in the close vicinity of Land’s End, all he will meet is fatal rocks with a tidal race in excess of 8 knots. The nearest port is 9 miles away in the English Channel, Penzance.

So, if you come upon the name Dan Holton, be particularly wary.