Half Hull

As a Falmouth Cutter 22 owner, I am interested in purchasing a half hull of the boat to display in my office. Perhaps other forum participants would have a
similar interest in a BCC half hull. Does anyone know if such items are available, and, if so, where? Sumio, have you considered producing half hulls
of the BCC and FC to sell to proud owners of Sam L. Morse built boats?

There are several old messages about half hulls in this forum:

Go to search, and run a search for:

half AND hull

Make sure you change the search criteria from Last 30 days to All Dates.

I love the half models by Todd Dunn.

You might check out his site at http://www.todddunnmicroyachts.com/gallery1.html

If you click on his ‘gallery’ page you can see a few samples he has done. What I like about his models is that you can have the standard model that fits all boats of your particular design or a detailed copy of your own boat right down to the color, winches and varnished trim etc. I’ve never seen such detail offered in a half-model before.

Thanks for the kind words Stan.

I just wanted to say that I have built three BCC halfhull models.
Two of them were detailed and showed full deck and cabin details.
I don’t have any of my BCC models on the web page because the pictures were taken a couple of
years ago with my old digital camera. So I thought I would add
a direct link here so that people could see my version of a BCC.

http://www.todddunnmicroyachts.com/bcc.htm

Please note that the model in the pictures was built a couple of years ago. I do nicer work now.

Todd Dunn

little_wing-13.jpg

If you have a little talent in wood working, meaning you still have all 10 fingers and toes, can operate a band saw, wood rasp, sand paper, glue, clamps etc. You can make the basic half hull model using the waterlines or butt of the BCC drawing, using the “Bread and butter method.”

We took a set of plans for a Herschofff 1-1/2 we ordered from Mystic Seaport a few years ago, using the drawing showing the waterlines, we used a copier at Office Max to shrink the drawing down to the size of the hull we wanted to make. We made as many copies as as there were waterlines, we cut each subsequent drawing sheet to the water line, Ie. WL1, WL2, WL3. We then taped these to the boards and traced around the waterline, cut each board out and glued all the boards together, when dry,we used a hand rasp, dremel, fein sander and sandpaper to gradually work the laminate block down to shape using the waterlines as a guide.

Once satisfied with the shape of the half hull, we made a mounting board, varnished all, even made a cute little brass name plate.

It’s a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun to create your own half Hull model. If your looking for something more exotic, Todd Dunn makes some excellent models with incredible detail.

Best to all,

After a v long time, I’m close to finishing a half-hull. I did suffer an auto accident (a rear-end collision that partly damaged the half-hull).

Attached is zhalfhull.jpg, about 107K.

The mounting board is teak, with two coats of lacquer. The metal plate is copper sheet, with lettering punched from behind. The text reads:

Bristol Channel Cutter 28
Designer: Lyle C. Hess
Builder: Sam L. Morse Co.
Hull No. 116 Zygote
Launched: 13 November 2000

Cheers

Bil

Hmmm. I’m currently building a complete BCC model. 3 feet in length.
To be placed on my fireplace mantle. I could publish the plans when
I’m finished if anyone is interested.

Mark Gearhart
s/v Godspeed 108

Sounds wonderful, Mark!

I would be interested in the plans (and seeing your model when it’s finished).

Has anyone used Rhinocereus or any other CAD program to produce a digital model that can be manipulated?

Cheers

Bil

Mark, I’d love to see what she looks like when finished. And would be interested in plans for the half hull model. Won’t have time for a few years yet, but eventually it may be a great project.

Stan

I can provide you with pre cut lifts for whatever scale you’d like for the BCC.
I have built one in 1/2 inch scale and the lines are on a computer. Making them 3/4 inch is not a problem. I could also provide templates only in cardboard, laser cut to shape.

John Z

Who has superior skills in using Rhinoceros or AutoCAD?

I’ve tried, and failed, to produce a true digital model of Lyle C. Hess’s Bristol Channel Cutter 28 hull. With the help of a friend, I put more hours than I am prepared to admit into making a model of the hull in Rhinoceros. But there’s an embarrassing bump (or two) in the garboard. For the moment, I’ve stopped further work on it.

I had planned to put bulkheads into the model (one of the keys to the strength of the boat is the 7 bulkheads. How many 28 ft designs do you know with 7 bulkheads?) as the next step. But the problem with the garboard lines has defeated me.

If I had succeeded with true model, I would have been reluctant to upload it, because anyone could, in theory at least, use the model to breach the IP rights to the Lyle Hess design. The bumps in the garboard render that proposition laughable.

Attached is a small 2D graphic of the model (ZBCC28.gif, about 65 KB, you should be able to eyeball the bumps). And a zipped file (ZBCC28.zip, about 109 KB ) containing the Rhino 3D model (ZBCC28.3dm, about 94 KB ) and an AutoCAD 2000 model (ZBCC28.dwg, about 98 KB ) generated from the Rhino model.

Any one who can improve on my work to date?

Cheers

Bil

ZBCC28.zip (108 KB)

Hi!

Hope my enthusiasm for a digital model of the BCC28 is not boring you. Today I upgraded to Adobe Acrobat 3D 7.0, an enhanced version of Acrobat that allows one to put a 3D model into a *.pdf container and, if you have Acrobat 3D, you can rotate the model etc. You can open the *.pdf with a non-3D Acrobat reader, but you cannot rotate the model.

I’ve attached the model (ZBCC28.pdf - it’s a big file just under 500 KB; zip compression only drops it a few tens of KB so I’ve not bothered. The bumps that spoiled the Rhino 3D rendering are not so obvious.

Cheers

Bil

I hope I’m not boring people with my enthusiasm for a digital model of the BCC28 hull.

Today I upgraded to Adobe Acrobat 3D 7.0. That’s an enhanced version of Acrobat that allows 3D models created in AutoCAD, Rhino etc to be imported into an Acrobat *.pdf file and, with a 3D version of Acrobat, the model can be rotated etc.

So I’ve attached ZBCC28.pdf (inside a zip container ZBCC28.zip). It’s a big download - about 490 KB reduced to 470 KB by the zip compression.

If you have a 2D Acrobat Reader, you’ll see the model. If you have a 3D Acrobat, you can play to heart’s content.

The bumps that spoiled the rendering in Rhino 3D are not so obvious in the Acrobat rendering (a different algorithm?).

Cheers

Bil

ZBCC28.zip (471 KB)

I’ve graduated to another shipbuilding software package, Maxsurf made by Formation Systems (see http://www.formsys.com/). This looks like a “real” shipbuilding CAD program! I reckon it could absorb many hours.

So, for all CAD enthusiasts in the BCC community, here’s my version of the Lyle Hess BCC28 hull: zbcc28.msd (around 33 KB ) wrapped in ZBCC28MSD.zip (around 13 KB ).

Warning: this is my attempt at digitising the hull. I haven’t had access to the lines drawn by Lyle C. Hess. So any attempt to use this to make a sailboat, as a copy of a BCC28, is probably doomed to failure. Not to mention transgressing intellectual property rights. But for having a digital model of the hull, it’s neat!

Cheers

Bil

ZBCC28MSD.zip (12.4 KB)

Hi Jerry,

Todd Dunn did Aloha for us. Call me at 410 571-2955. I can give you his number.

Hello Jerry,
You may want to try Todd Dunn Microyachts. He has built several BCC half hulls and is currently building one for me. His web site is todddunnmicroyachts.com.

Hello Jerry,
You may want to try Todd Dunn Microyachts. He has built several BCC half hulls and is currently building one for me. His web site is todddunnmicroyachts.com. He gives you online updates to the progress of you halfhull. CHeck it out.
Best to you,
Mark

I’ve built three BCC half models in 1/2" scale. My models are solid wood and built the traditional “lift method” of stacked waterlines. (For those of you who are handy, I can offer a set of oaktag templates for each waterline or the half model in a full kit form (hull only at this time)). Lifts are 1/2" thick and have a wooden dowel to help with alignment.

I have not started selling kits yet, but I have over 70 half models to my credit, some as commissioned work. I can send photos of some of my work if you are interested. I would not be able to start one before January though.

More information can be found at www.usrowboy.com or www.boatframes.com
email is usrowboy@comcast. You can email me for more photos.

The BCC is the first kit I will offer because it is, in my opinion, the prettiest and best built boat out there. Hopefully, I’ll join you folks as an owner some day.

John Zeigler

I’ve built three BCC half models in 1/2" scale. My models are solid wood and built the traditional “lift method” of stacked waterlines. (For those of you who are handy, I can offer a set of oaktag templates for each waterline or the half model in a full kit form (hull only at this time)). Lifts are 1/2" thick and have a wooden dowel to help with alignment.

I have not started selling kits yet, but I have over 70 half models to my credit, some as commissioned work. I can send photos of some of my work if you are interested. I would not be able to start one before January though.

More information can be found at www.usrowboy.com or www.boatframes.com
My email is usrowboy@comcast. You can email me for more photos. They seem to be too large for this format to attach here.

The BCC is the first kit I will offer because it is, in my opinion, the prettiest and best built boat out there. Hopefully, I’ll join you folks as an owner some day.

John Zeigler