Has anyone made a half-model of the BCC and will they share information
about how they did it?
David & Susan
Te Wahapu Road
RD 1
Russell, NZ 0255
goodallradtke@xtra.co.nz

As described in message 214, there are 2 half-hulls made. I just
ordered the smaller of the two. Haven’t gotten it yet though.

Doug
1978 BCC “Fritha”

— In bcc@egroups.com , David & Susan goodallradtke@x wrote:

Has anyone made a half-model of the BCC and will they share
information
about how they did it?
David & Susan
Te Wahapu Road
RD 1
Russell, NZ 0255
goodallradtke@x…

To any who are looking for a BCC half model. There are two available, one
is made by Lyle Hess’s son in law, Steve DeCoux. It is exactly to the lines.
It is about 22" long mounted on a board about 28" long. It sold for $350
several years ago. It is the one I have on my office wall> Phone:
562-595-7923.

The other producer of BCC half models is Ken Gardner Models @ 949-642-9127.
His models are not quite as accurate as Steve’s, a little fuller at the
entry but no one would know it unless someone like myself pointed it out.
The Gardner model is several inches shorter but it includes the bulwarks.
Ken’s sell for less than Steve’s. Both models will have the hull done in
ivory or any color you want including the color for the walestrake, boot top
and bottom. Both are high quality.

Roger Olson
Sam L. Morse Co.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 3:47 PM
To: BCC Owners Ass.
Subject: [bcc] Half-model

Has anyone made a half-model of the BCC and will they share information
about how they did it?
David & Susan
Te Wahapu Road
RD 1
Russell, NZ 0255
goodallradtke@xtra.co.nz

roger this is steve hoffman. we spoke several months ago…I live on the chesapeake and would appreciate your ear if you hear of any good used bcc’s that come up for sale in this area. the 6’1 headroom is a gotta have
felice navidad!
steve

David,

I have not made a half-model of the BCC, but obviously you will want a set of plans or
table of offsets to start with. I don’t know if any are available, but if they aren’t and you
have access to the boat on the hard, it is possible to measure the boat. The August,
1999 issue of the British magazine “Classic Boat” had an article describing how to do
it (page 76). Some forethought will be very helpful to ensure that the measurements you
get are directly useable without having to actually reconstruct a lines drawing, which is
a lot of work in itself.

Most of the models I’ve seen were made using the “bread and butter” method. Smaller
models can be carved from a solid block, but the bread and butter method works well
because you can (usually) pretty quickly get the shape of the hull. If you aren’t familiar
with that method, boards of convenient thickness are cut to the shape of the different
waterlines and then glued together. If desired, a dark wood with thickness of the boot
stripe can be inserted for contrast if the model is going to be left natural rather than
painted. After they are glued together, then the corner projecting from one waterline to
the next is trimmed down.

If the model is fairly large, a handheld power planer is good for removing the bulk of this
corner wood. After the rough trimming is done, a spokeshave is handy to finish-shape the
hull at different stations along it’s length and then to fair between the stations. As the hull
gets closer to being the desired shape, a flexible strip of wood called a batten is rubbed with
crayon and then bent over the hull in varying directions and rubbed around. High spots show
up as crayon marks and they can then be shaved off.

When I was in college, I spent too much time in the ship model shop and this is how the
professional modelmakers there made accurate models for the towing tank. In their case, they
always used 1" thick clear pine lifts. Waterlines were drawn for each 1" (model scale).
If the model is very small I wouldn’t bother with the bread and butter method and instead just
measure off stations for templates to check the shape.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Tod Mills