Hospice Turkey Shoot Regatta

Hi to all!

I know the Turkey Shoot Regatta has been mentioned a couple of times on this
forum, but I wanted to give it another plug. If we can get 6 BCCs there,
they will score us as a separate fleet - and 3 of us are already registered!
So some information . . .

1. Where the heck is this? N37? 41.622 minutes, W076? 29.400 minutes (or,
    for those more in need of descriptive language, in the Rapahannock River,
    off of the Corrotoman - about 5 miles up the Rap river from the Chesapeake
    Bay.) Should be around 50 miles south of Solomon’s Island to the mouth of
    that river. In other words, infinitely accessible to any boat in the
    Chesapeake!

2. What the heck is this? The Hospice Turkey Shoot Regatta is a regatta
    for boats of a design 25 years or older, one of a series of national
    regattas whose purpose is to raise money for Hospice care. The Turkey Shoot
    raises money for the Hospice of the Northern Neck (the area right around the
    regatta). Hospice basically is there for people who are dying to be able to
    do so on their own terms, usually at home, surrounded by caring volunteers.
    Last year there were over 120 boats in the regatta. If you don’t think that
    is cool, check out the pictures on the website from last year:
    http://www.yankeepointmarina.com/

3. When the heck is this? The weekend of Columbus Day, October 11 and 12.
    Yeah, you have to choose between the Boat Show and this. Pick this!

It’s a blast, for a good cause, with incredible eye candy, and very laid
back. I hope to see more of you there with Rod and Lenora and Mark and us.

Have a great weekend!

Nica
s/v Calypso, BCC #6

Photo Opportunities:

Mark, Jeremy and Nica:

Besides “racing” let’s take photos at the regatta. Coledata will set up an album in the Gallery for the Turkey Shoot Regatta. We will have camera’s aboard IDUNA. Bring a camera.

I leave late Sunday morning bound for Yankee Point Marina and the Turkey Shoot Regatta. Lenora and crew will drive to the marina.

Fair Winds,

Rod

The gallery for the Turkey Shoot can be found as a sub item within the “Events” gallery.

Please be sure to identify, wherever possible, particular vessels within the image name.

We used to allow text descriptions, but unfortunately the spammers found this to be any easy way to spread their toxic waste, and I don’t need a larger one anyway!

10 Basic Racing Rules

http://www.sailingcourse.com/racing_rules.htm

Although I have studied these, I am hoping IDUNA’s two 1-pounders will supersede the 10 Basic Racing Rules on the course.

Look for IDUNA’s crew at the Happy Hour Friday. You will not miss us!

Fair Winds,

Rod

Morning Rod,
Have a good trip down the bay. We will bring our camera as well. Hoping for good weather…so far it looks mixed. I don’t know if you will be staying at Yankee Point in a slip or anchoring out. There is a good spot to anchor just a bit up the Eastern Branch (Corrotoman) past the split of the river we call sandy beach. It’s on your Starboard side and provides good holding and deep good water (depth). We are located about a mile or so further up the river on the same side. We will not be down to the house till Friday as work has once again gotten in the way. Look forward to seeing you there Sat AM.
Best
Mark
SV “Lightfoot”

Hi Mark,

Just talked to Rod and he is motor sailing down the bay making 6.3 kts overground. Light winds this morning. Forecast is 10-15 NE–but we all know that forecasting winds in the Chesapeake is similar to flipping a coin.

Anchor up from Rock Creek this morning at 07:45 hours.

I will keep you posted on his southbound progress.

Sorry you will not be able to make the happy hour on Friday. Our crew is excited and we all have bright Iduna shirts for the regatta and happy hour.

Lenora
1st Mate
SV IDUNA

Lenora
I am tooooooo jealous that we have no crew shirts.
See you there
Best
Mark
ps keep me posted on Rod’s progress

Hi Mark,
Rod anchored early this afternoon in Canning House Bay in the Rhodes River.
He had motor sailed as the airs were light. Destination tomorrow is Solomons.

Lenora

Lenora,
Thanks for the update.
Fairwinds…hopefully
Best
Mark

Iduna’s southbound journey has been delayed to the Turkey Shoot Regatta and will not be able to make the regatta.

Attached is a photo of the seas as they were building this afternoon.

We will be in touch.

Southbound and seas building.JPG

Good morning Lenora,
I hope Rod can make one of the days. We usually only do the Saturday race. Maybe he can do the Sunday Pursuit race. It’s a good time no matter. I hope to see you there at some point.
Best to you
Mark
SV “Lightfoot”

Wow, Lenora - I hope he is holed up somewhere and doing okay. If you would like to come and sail on Calypso you are welcome - our plan is to be heading there tomorrow.

Let’s hear it for accurate weather reporting/forecasting!

Nica

Wow, Lenora - I hope he is holed up somewhere and doing okay. If you would like to come and sail on Calypso you are welcome - our plan is to be heading there tomorrow.

Let’s hear it for accurate weather reporting/forecasting!

Nica

Hello Jeremy and Nica,

Hope to see you there Saturday at YP. I have the Seafrost engine compressor if you want it .
Best to you
Mark
SV “Lightfoot”

Photos from the Turkey Shoot Regatta may be found at our BCC/FC Gallery under Events.

Other photos may be viewed at

http://www.hospiceturkeyshootregatta.com:80/2008%20%20photos%20and%20results.htm

Select Saturday and/or Sunday race photos.

I will be posting more photos later as will Nica and Jeremy Waters.

If you can make the Turkey Shoot Regatta next year, it is well worth the effort. The food was fabulous. Dinner tickets are $20 each. Breakfast was free - eggs, biscuits, grits, Virginia country sausage, orange juice and coffee. The sponsors and sailor were helpful and very friendly. The racing was laid back and just plain fun. Unfortunately, IDUNA was not in the race but we did race aboard Calypso. Thank you Jeremy, Nica, Julian and Madeleine for the invitation and a wonderful time. You are great.

Next year, weather and life permitting, IDUNA will be at the regatta. We have several BCC’s and FC’s on the Chesapeake and it would be wonderful to see more BCC’s and a some FC’s at the Turkey Shoot Regatta.

Fair Winds,

Rod

I’ve uploaded a couple of my pics too. Good shots of Lightfoot and some of the other scenery.

http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/gallery/album67

Regards,
Jeremy

Good morning Jerey and Nica,

The pictures are really great. I have to ask you what camera do you use. I have a digital point and shoot and there is no comparison. I have sent some pics of Calypso to John to upload to the same location.

We had a great time but could only do the one day. Had to get back to company at the house so could not get back down for the after race party.

I see we finished close but over 9 minutes behind the winner. I wonder what kind of boats they were as I did not note their manufacture.

Best to you
Mark
SV “Lightfoot”

Uploaded a couple of pictures I took of SV “Calypso” during Turkey Shoot race.
Go to “Gallery” and then Turkey Shoot. Best to all
Mark
SV “Lightfoot”

Mark:

Nice shots of Calypso. I just uploaded 10 more photos from the Regatta to the Event Gallery - Turkey Shoot Regatta.

Rod