Light air sails, hello

My wife found this BCC group and suddenly I was reading twenty eight replies on heads. Anyhow, we dont’ have a plastic 28 footer, but we do have a wood 26 foot Hess BCC. I didn’t know he designed a 26 either. We live aboard in Sitka, Alaska. We are planning to sail somewhere warm and timidly await our first serious offshore endevour. We have only working sail and a trysail. I think i need a light air sail of some sort. My limitations are this, it must be ultra cheap (used, etc…) I’m not sure I want spinnaker poles and all that jazz. Maybe a large Genoa, drifter? How Big? any possibility of simply poling out with a boathook? Also, anyone had any experience with a Sayes rig steering vane on a BCC. Any home built vanes and their dimensions out there? Thanks Jason and Nicole, s/v Baggywrinkle

Free Web-based e-mail groups by eGroups.com

Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/bcc/?start=85

My wife found this BCC group and suddenly I was reading twenty eight replies on heads. Anyhow, we dont’ have a plastic 28 footer, but we do have a wood 26 foot Hess BCC. I didn’t know he designed a 26 either. We live aboard in Sitka, Alaska. We are planning to sail somewhere warm and timidly await our first serious offshore endevour. We have only working sail and a trysail. I think i need a light air sail of some sort. My limitations are this, it must be ultra cheap (used, etc…) I’m not sure I want spinnaker poles and all that jazz. Maybe a large Genoa, drifter? How Big? any possibility of simply poling out with a boathook? Also, anyone had any experience with a Sayes rig steering vane on a BCC. Any home built vanes and their dimensions out there? Thanks Jason and Nicole, s/v Baggywrinkle

I am too new too list although 6 months ago I asked roger to send me the catalog for the BCC. I have fallen in love with this boat and I seriously am considering purcashing one. This is an odd devolopment in my life as I am a multi hull sailor, yes that’s right, I have an Corsair F-31-r now and quite frankly I also love it, but cannot see myself doing any serious offshore crusing in it or live aboard. So at night before I go to bed I pull out the BCC catalog and look at it and wonder, 1. can you really live aboard the BCC? 2. Is the boat maintanance intensive (woodwork) 3. is it as fast as they claim
( I know I am not going to hit 22 kts. on it like the tri but I don’t want to end up doing 5 kts. in 18 knots of breeze) I am not married to multi way of life and harbor no prejudice against the leaners, I just like to sail and the BCC is a beautiful boat with offshore possibilities.
Steve McKinley