Mast Rot

Help! Pulled my mast yesterday and it has rotted. I have no desire to fix it or replace it with another wooden mast. Would like to find used replacement. No idea where to start. Anyone have an old Aluminum mast to sell, Or know where to start looking for a new one. I called Forspar and they quoted me $6,000+. Not sure what that includes but it’s to much.

Thanks, Matt Hedrick

919-740-2852
Morehead, NC

May have source for a mast for you. Have friend with black anodized masts which came from a production builder some years ago, they have a slight twist hardly noticeable, were destined to go on a 30’ production boat. Masts are in California. Don’t know how to get it to you, but cost is $500.

Marty Chin

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: rx6rcrol
Username: rx6rcrol
Subject: Mast Rot
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4128,4128#msg-4128

Help! Pulled my mast yesterday and it has rotted. I have no desire to fix it or replace it with another wooden mast. Would like to find used replacement. No idea where to start. Anyone have an old Aluminum mast to sell, Or know where to start looking for a new one. I called Forspar and they quoted me $6,000+. Not sure what that includes but it’s to much.

Thanks, Matt Hedrick

919-740-2852
Morehead, NC

wow. once again, i just have to say it, the people on this forum are a unique resource.

Sorry, checked on the masts and the lengths are cut short at 20’. Check with riggers in your area, some one has to have a used mast laying around the yard or their back yard.

Marty

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: rx6rcrol
Username: rx6rcrol
Subject: Mast Rot
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4128,4128#msg-4128

Thanks, Matt Hedrick

919-740-2852
Morehead, NC

Matt:

Where is the rot on the mast? Before you discard a mast, wood or aluminum, I would first consider repairing it.

IDUNA

The serious rot is in the base of the mast for the most part. I just sailed the boat across the gulf and up the east coast. We sailed for about 12 hours in a noreaster off the coast of SC and really put the rig to the test, no mercy. Along the way I kept noticing that my stays were getting a little sloppy. Once we pulled the mast the reason was apparent. The base of the mast had started to compress because of the rot. You could not see this rot nor feel the rot when the mast was stepped. I’ve already looked into having the base cut and rebuilt. Definetly an option I’m considering. The thing is, for the sake of resale value and many other benefits to having an AL spar, I’d rather just make the switch now. Currently the boat is undergoing a complete restoration at Russells Yachts in Morehead City, NC. New covering boards, rub rails, bulwarks, lowered cabin sole, lowered counter tops, lowered berths, chart table to ice box conversion, teak deck removal and the list goes on. When the rotted covering board was removed we found rotted plywood underneath it that was used to raise the covering board up to the level of the teak decks. The plywood was shot and most of the covering board at the teak deak seam was gone. The unfortunate casualty of all this is the teak decks. Although they are in good condition and the screw seals are still tight, I feel like they are just a ticking time bomb. Currently the decks are fairly dry according to the moisture meter. Possiably a few wet spots that will be cut out. I want be sorry to see them go. Not sure whats going to replace them, How about flxiteak. They quoted me 60-75 dollars a square foot. I’ve seen it on a boat and it looks great. Aside from all of that the hull and deck are being painted, everything is being rebeaded, every hole is being oversized filled and redrilled, the bowsprit is being rebuilt, the varnish inside is being peeled and redone, the bottom is being barrier coated although there are currently no blisters and I’m getting an AL mast. So basically in 4 or 5 years you should all come to Morehead City, have a beer and help me launch my boat. Cheers, Matt Hedrick

Hi Matt,

Barbara said you called earlier but I was still at work. And I see you made the journey well…good show!

It looks like you should consider repairing the mast for now and keep an eye out for an aluminum one. On the other hand, with all the other major refitting you have planned it may be you will come across a replacement mast before your other work is complete; for sure if you are going ahead with lowering the sole.

Apparently your sail over to and up the coast went well. As with so many passages by BCC’s, there usually isn’t much excitement to write home about because of the boats’ great sea keeping ability,… but if there be a sea-story in there I’d love to hear about it sometime.

Please keep us all updated on your progress.

Stan and Barbara Roeder