my dream roller furler

Ben, Just found this article on setting up a bowsprit traveler.
http://www.smackdock.co.uk/old/index.htm

Ok… I have started the installation of the new furler system. This goes along with my new rigging. Right now I’m just waiting fro everything to come from Canada eh.

http://garyfelton.com/shanti for the latest.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary,

Once its all done I cant wait to see how it all works… the hank/furler sounds like a great idea. I would love to see a video (youtube or something) of it in action (e.g. raising, lower, changing to a lighter sail). I am still trying to invision how it would all work but it sounds like the best of both worlds.

KD

Hi all,
I have an update on my furling system at www.garyfelton.com/shanti .
Should be out sailing with it for the first time Sunday afternoon! I’ll have pics and comments on the system then. It looks good, can’t wait.
Gary

Gary,

I have been following your rerigging and am considering replacing the standing rigging on my W32 with Dynex Dux. In addition, I currently have hanked on foresails and am thinking of using one of the Colligo furlers (the Code Zero isn’t large enough).

I currently have a bowsprit with a large platform and double rail pulpit, but it is all off the boat being refinished. I am considering leaving the platform and rail off if I choose to install one of these furlers as I would not have to go to the end of the bowsprit to change sails, assuming I set it up so that the furler could be brought in.

Why did you choose to use a hoop around your bowsprit so it could travel in and out? It seems that you could use some low-stretch line to attach to the bottom of the furler and reeve it through a block at the base of the bowsprit. Then, when the furler has to come in, this “outhaul” line could be slacked and the furler brought in for changing sails. My bowsprit is rectangular, so a hoop wouldn’t work, but it seems like this outhaul concept may.

Also, are you going to use regular Dynex Dux or Coverbraid DD (the stuff with a protective cover)?

Thanks for your help!

Aaron,
I have also been following Gary’s dream furler thread. I had thought of using a Wykeman Martin luff line furler for the jib and solicited comments from a naval architect and a sail maker friend. Based on my own homework and their comments I have decided to follow Gary’s sail handling plan or at least a variation thereof. I won’t describe details here but your email prompted me my plan to my blog. Have a look at:

Aaron,
I used the covered dynex for the luff line.
I used the ring as it is traditional, but also just felt it was the easiest to set up. Of course I had to round the sprit. But that was not difficult.

Any method of hauling the furler out to the end will work. Just remember it has to be as strong as any headstay setup.

My “code zero” furler from Precourt works just fine, and it is small. Erik at Precourt told me it was rated for a 450sqft sail.

Was going to put a uv cover on the leech and foot of my sail, but have not since it is so easy to bring in and drop (all rolled up) in its sail bag. I really do love this new system.

All my new dynex rigging will be here this week. :smiley: