One Favorite Thing About Your BCC

Sometimes I just find myself loving my boat above all other things in this life – well, most of the time I guess. Today I was resetting my anchor which was fouled – the first time I’ve ever had a fouled anchor. And I was walking back to the cockpit from the foredeck and I thought to myself – “Damn I love the wide side decks on this boat” – I can stroll back to the cockpit with a normal stride, just as if I was walking along the sidewalk in town.

I recall that this one of the biggest selling points for me on the BCC - the wide side decks.

What’s one of your favorite thing about the BCC?

Hi Ben,

I like the side decks too. And the bowsprit for its classic look, and when it gets the deeply interested attention of people on nearby boats when I tack, or when I’m coming into a dock in a strong wind. (Of course I’m not so fond of the sprit when I have to pay for its length in a marina.) I’m also partial to the BCC’s motion in a seaway - that easy, forgiving swing and roll. But mostly it’s how I feel when I see “Gertrud” as a whole boat, rowing away from her in an anchorage, or walking away from her on a dock with backward glances - she just gladdens the heart.

Derek Lundy
“Gertrud”
Salt Spring Island

Dittos to everything said so far. For me, a big part of the heart gladdening is the link to the past and the traditional evident in Voyager. From bowsprit to boomkin, and the bits in between, the BCC is a small ship of substance,

The standing headroom under the scuttle hatch.

oh that’s a good one!

I like the cutter rig. This rig provides so many variations for setting sails when sailing in various conditions. The BCC is so easy to balance if the mast is set right and the sails are properly set.

I also like the variations in having sleep quarters amidships. I have sailed boats with “V” berths that are impossible to sleep in underway and have too many sounds when at anchor. Where better to sleep on a boat than amidships.

I also love the large engine room.

Roger

In contrast to Roger’s aversion to v-berths, we love having a permanently made up bunk. True the v-berth can get bouncy beating to weather offshore but those times are rare since gentlemen do not ‘beat to weather’. And the forward bunk is fine when not beating.

And in truth, just how many days a year are you underway and going to weather?

Our v-berth leaves the main cabin separate so the off watch isn’t bothered by activities of whoever is on watch. The on-watch person can cook, bang pans, listen to the radio traffic, turn on lights and re-enter the cabin as often as wanted without disturbing anyone sleeping in the v-berth.

And of course in port the main saloon with permanent settees and entertainment center means everyone doesn’t have to go to bed at the same time.

In contrast to Roger’s aversion to v-berths, we love having a permanently made up bunk. True the v-berth can get bouncy beating to weather offshore but those times are rare since gentlemen do not ‘beat to weather’. And the forward bunk is fine when not beating.

And in truth, just how many days a year are you underway and going to weather?

Our v-berth leaves the main cabin separate so the off watch isn’t bothered by activities of whoever is on watch. The on-watch person can cook, bang pans, listen to the radio traffic, turn on lights and re-enter the cabin as often as wanted without disturbing anyone sleeping in the v-berth.

And of course in port the main saloon with permanent settees and entertainment center means everyone doesn’t have to go to bed at the same time.

Our v-berth is very large even with clothes lockers along the starboard side. Here is a photo from our Waxwing gallery. Other interior shots are also there.

http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/albums/album24/image0.thumb.jpg

http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/gallery/album24?page=1