Proper distance from keel to rudder?

Hi all,

Can’t find it in the construction manual, and didn’t take note when removing the old rudder hardware, any thoughts on the correct distance from the back of the keel to the front edge of the rudder?

I’m ending up at 1 5/8" gap. It looks big to me, but the straps pulled their way forward under the clamps when mounting and found this position on their own, so there must be some misalignment… I’ll try to scoot it forward, but what’s the consensus of the group about the correct distance, and would this effect anything other than alignment to my pardey-design windvane parts?

A 1 5/8" gap sounds about 1" too big to me.

I checked the gap on Zygote today. It’s not easy to measure with high precision, partly because of the curved surface of the forward face of the rudder.

I reckon the hull/rudder gap was fairly even from keel to transom (prop cutout excepted). And I measured that gap as a fat 15 mm. That would be about 5/8" (5/8" is about 15.7 mm).

Bil

Can’t find it in the construction manual, and
didn’t take note when removing the old rudder
hardware, any thoughts on the correct distance
from the back of the keel to the front edge of the
rudder?

The BCC Construction Manual does have a dimension for the hull-rudder clearance gap.

See Hull Rudder clearance.jpg.

Bil

Bil,

Thanks for the help. Looks like I overlooked that page in the manual completely. I appreciate the quick and useful advice very much.