Re: ATTENTION ALL BCC OWNERS WHO HAVE AN ABI PELICAN HOOK ON THE STAYSAIL STAY.

Roger:

Good sound advice.  A Swiss made plastic dial caliper distributed by General Tools costs about $30.  The tool is calibrated in 1/64" increments and 0.01" increments.  This is a cheap investment to ensure the safety of the rig.  The caliper is sold at most large hardware stoves and is available at Internet stores.

Rod
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [bcc] ATTENTION ALL BCC OWNERS WHO HAVE AN ABI PELICAN HOOK ON THE STAYSAIL STAY.

Hi Jim,

I really don't know the answer to that.  This is a problem that I was not aware of and don't even know if my own boat might have the wrong one.  If there was any play between the turnbuckle and stud, I think I would have noticed it....but I would not count on that.  I suggest you ask the boatyard to measure the upper and lower studs just in case.

Roger

Dear BCC owners.

We recently found that some of the large 1/2-inch bronze pelican hooks made by ABI are defective.  These pelican hooks have been installed at the base of the staysail stay so it can be removed to tack larger sails.  The problem is that turnbuckle is solid bronze with 1/2-inch threads.  The top stud that connects to the stay is 1/2-inch right hand threads.  On some pelican hooks, the bottom stud is 7/16-inch left hand thread.  There is a danger that the bottom stud could pull out of the 1/2-inch turnbuckle.  Please check that the upper and lower studs are the same size of 1/2-inch. 
If not, notify to Mr. Madison Lott, Vice President. ABI, his phone number is 800-422-1301. He will replace the parts.

Best Regards,

Sumio Oya
Sam L. Morse Co.
Would Cyrano be effected by this ?
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:52 AM
Subject: [bcc] ATTENTION ALL BCC OWNERS WHO HAVE AN ABI PELICAN HOOK ON THE STAYSAIL STAY.

Dear BCC owners.

We recently found that some of the large 1/2-inch bronze pelican hooks made by ABI are defective.  These pelican hooks have been installed at the base of the staysail stay so it can be removed to tack larger sails.  The problem is that turnbuckle is solid bronze with 1/2-inch threads.  The top stud that connects to the stay is 1/2-inch right hand threads.  On some pelican hooks, the bottom stud is 7/16-inch left hand thread.  There is a danger that the bottom stud could pull out of the 1/2-inch turnbuckle.  Please check that the upper and lower studs are the same size of 1/2-inch. 
If not, notify to Mr. Madison Lott, Vice President. ABI, his phone number is 800-422-1301. He will replace the parts.

Best Regards,

Sumio Oya
Sam L. Morse Co.

At 11:09 AM 1/28/2003 -0800, you wrote:

Hi Jim,

I really don’t know the answer to that. This is a problem that I was not
aware of and don’t even know if my own boat might have the wrong one. If
there was any play between the turnbuckle and stud, I think I would have
noticed it…but I would not count on that. I suggest you ask the
boatyard to measure the upper and lower studs just in case.

Roger

Roger,Jim and all:

I had one of the undersize ones…I checked after speaking to
Sumio a couple of days ago. The play is very subtle and not at all
noticeable when the locking collar is turned down tight on the barrel
bolt. Best to mic the eyebolt as someone else suggested.

Tom Harrer
S/V Whitewings III

Hi Jim,

I really don't know the answer to that.  This is a problem that I was not aware of and don't even know if my own boat might have the wrong one.  If there was any play between the turnbuckle and stud, I think I would have noticed it....but I would not count on that.  I suggest you ask the boatyard to measure the upper and lower studs just in case.

Roger
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [bcc] ATTENTION ALL BCC OWNERS WHO HAVE AN ABI PELICAN HOOK ON THE STAYSAIL STAY.

Would Cyrano be effected by this ?
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 11:52 AM
Subject: [bcc] ATTENTION ALL BCC OWNERS WHO HAVE AN ABI PELICAN HOOK ON THE STAYSAIL STAY.

Dear BCC owners.

Best Regards,

Sumio Oya
Sam L. Morse Co.