Re: BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEMS AND BLACK BOXES

I just installed the Heart Incharge 3 step Smart regulator with the Link 10 monitor.  I have two 8D batteries for house monitored by the Link 10 and one group 27 for the engine. (  All wet type )  I have had two Ample Power systems, an early model and a later current model--both failed on several occasions.  So far this system is working as advertised and with the Link 10 monitor, it is very easy to evaluate the performance of the system and monitor the house bank.  There is a setup for gel battery charge rate that must be done after installation as the default setting is for wet type batteries.  I purchases the system from Ferris Power Products. Mr Ferris specializes in these systems and is a very helpful guy.  His ph no is 508 881 4602
Good luck
Mark Giegel
BCC #73 " Itchen"
-----Original Message-----
To: bcc@yahoogroups.com <bcc@yahoogroups.com >
Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 10:47 AM
Subject: [bcc] BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEMS AND BLACK BOXES

We used an early version of Ample Power's "smart regulator", as well as Heart Interface's (Cruising Equipment) Link 2000R (early version) on our previous boat - http://home.att.net/~africanmoon/   Our experience was:
1. Ample Power's regulator failed twice, once before the warranty period expired and once after.

2. The Link 2000R charged the gel cell batteries at a higher recommended voltage (two sets of gel cell batteries too high).  After serveral diplomatic letters and telephone conversations, Cruising Equipment sent me a later model "smart regulator" which charged the gel cell batteries at the correct voltage based on charge state and ambient temperature.
After our experience with gel cell batteries (Deka brand), we purchased Trogan 8G27 batteries.  Based on our observations, flooded cell batteries (the Trogan's) appeared to accept a charge faster and did not self-discharge as fast as our previous gel cell batteries.
I am interested to read about other sailor's experience with "smart charging systems" and gel cell batteries vs. flooded cell and AGM type batteries.
S/V  IDUNA

BRISTOL CHANNEL CUTTER OWNERS ASSOCIATION
Home page:    http://members.aol.com/calypsonia/bcc/bcc.htm
Post message: mailto:bcc@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:    mailto:bcc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:  mailto:bcc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:   mailto:bcc-owner@yahoogroups.com
Archives:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bcc

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .
We used an early version of Ample Power's "smart regulator", as well as Heart Interface's (Cruising Equipment) Link 2000R (early version) on our previous boat - http://home.att.net/~africanmoon/ .  Our experience was:
1. Ample Power's regulator failed twice, once before the warranty period expired and once after.

2. The Link 2000R charged the gel cell batteries at a higher recommended voltage (two sets of gel cell batteries too high).  After serveral diplomatic letters and telephone conversations, Cruising Equipment sent me a later model "smart regulator" which charged the gel cell batteries at the correct voltage based on charge state and ambient temperature.
After our experience with gel cell batteries (Deka brand), we purchased Trogan 8G27 batteries.  Based on our observations, flooded cell batteries (the Trogan's) appeared to accept a charge faster and did not self-discharge as fast as our previous gel cell batteries.
I am interested to read about other sailor's experience with "smart charging systems" and gel cell batteries vs. flooded cell and AGM type batteries.
S/V  IDUNA
I just installed a completely new system in Crystal Swan II, hull # 95.
I have 4 AGM group 31 batteries, 3 in the house bank and one for a starting battery. I got the batteries from Arizona Wind and Sun, much cheaper than West Marine.
I installed a Ample Power Lifeline Next Step regulator, a EMONII H1 energy monitor, Isolator Eliminator EL512 to charge the starting battery, a new 150 amp alternator and a Trace 1500 inverter charger with remote control panel.
The instillation has all of the necessary switches to allow using the house bank as the starting bank and 200 amp, amp meter.

I have not used the boat extensively since installing all of this equipment but I have had no problems with any of the components.

Steve Osborne