Re: Cape Horn Windvane

We used a Cape Horn Windvane on our Nor'star Flicka (http://home.att.net/~africanmoon/ ) with great success.  On
one of many occasions, the Cape Horn steered the boat on a 20 mile broad reach with the main and spinnaker set in 6 to 8 knots of wind, boat speed was 3 to 4 knots.  Note, our Nor'star Flicka mast length is 33 ft.  The unit worked equally as well when we beat into a 3 to 4 ft. chop on the Chesapeake - windspeed was 30 knots. Cape Horn was the only company that said "no problem" when we explained that our Flicka had a bumpkin.  The unit weighed 32 lb. and worked in the lightest wind conditions.  The Monitor is also a good unit but weighs about 60 lb.  Charlie Dewell, author of Kawabunga's South Seas Adventure (http://www.southseaspublishing.com ) used a Monitor with great success on his Flicka for a 10,000 mile odyssey through the South Pacific.  With the Monitor, the rudder  folds back and sticks aft when stored, whereas the Cape Horn's servo rudder folds to the side and stores next to the windvane's vertical control tower.  Cape Horn was also the unit the Westsail Owners Association purchased for seven of their boats. Cape Horn may be found at http://www.capehorn.com/index.html .  Regardless of which brand of windvane, the boat (sails) must be balanced for the unit to work.  The better the boat is balanced the better the unit will steer the boat.  Most windvanes will work if the boat has a limited amount of weather helm.  When necessary, we would cock-in a small amount of weather helm to help the boat go to weather.  This was easily done, by moving the tiller to weather while pulling the weather windvane control line which was connected to the tiller by a cam-cleat.  The only negative we noted with our Cape Horn was setting the vane to the wind.  Because there is no mechanical reducing in the control line which controls course setting, the vane, at first, proved to be sensitive to course changes, i.e. we would overshoot the coure setting.  Once we understood this, we had no difficulty making a course correction or change.  Both the Monitor and Cape Horn are well proven windvane systems.  We purchased the Cape Horn over the Monitor because the unit weighed ~50% less, Cape Horn could fit our custom built Flicka,  we like the way the servo rudder stored, it was less expensive and had a cleaner installation.  If our BCC, S/V IDUNA, were not already equipped with a trim tab windvane steering system, we would purchase the Cape Horn again based on our past experience with the unit on S/V African Moon, now named Dolphin Spirit by her new owner.

Fair Wind,

S/V IDUNA

Hi All,

Our Cape Horn Windvane just arrived, but before I mount it, I’d
be interested in knowing if anyone has some pic’s and or any special
advice on mounting this particular windvane. The instruction book has
a picture of one mounted on a BCC, but I’d be curious about any
variations from the published picture, for a BCC.

Thanks,
Mark Gearhart
s/v Godspeed

mrgearha@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi All,

Our Cape Horn Windvane just arrived, but before I
mount it, I’d
be interested in knowing if anyone has some pic’s
and or any special
advice on mounting this particular windvane. The
instruction book has
a picture of one mounted on a BCC, but I’d be
curious about any
variations from the published picture, for a BCC.

Mark: Hi!

The picture of the Cape Horn installation on a BCC (if
memory serves me rightly) of Roger Olson’s
installation on Nereus. Roger subsequently removed the
Cape Horn windvane and installed a Freehand Steering
System vane instead.

At the time (in about 2000 or 2001) Nereus was the
only BCC28 with a Cape Horn windvane.

Cheers

Bil

Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
http://au.movies.yahoo.com

We very satisfactorily installed our Cape Horn outside
the boomkin making only a ss plate with a 2"
semicircle cut out for the vertical housing. We chose
not to mount it inside the boomkin (at the apex of the
inverted V since we carry our propane tank on a ss
fitting carried on the boomkin. The unit is supported
by the diagonal supports.
we matched top and bottom support brackets so a
through bolt held both /minimizing the number of holes
to be drilled in the boomkin.
Good luck
Nate Berkowitz

====nathaniel berkowitz, sausalito california
tel: 415 331 3314 fax: 415 331 1854
email:nathanielsf@yahoo.com

Do you Yahoo!?
Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs
http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover

Mark:

It you go to http://home.att.net/~africanmoon , you will see how we mounted a Cape Horn under the bumpkin of our custom built Nor'star Flicka.  To determine the exact position of the horizontal control tube, I drilled holes in to triangular pieces of plywood, laid two sticks across the bumpkin and used clamps to mount the plywood.  I then placed the horizontal control tube through the holes in the plywood and adjust the position of the horizontal tube via the clamps.  Once the position was determined, I started to cut the support struts.  I know this is abbreviated but I hope it helps.

Rod

S/V IDUNA

P.S.  The Cape Horn will steer in almost no air going downwind.    If we decide we do not like the Pardey style windvane, we will purchase a Cape Horn for IDUNA.

Thanks All, that was very helpful. I’ll post some pictures
to the gallery once I get things worked out.

Mark Gearhart
s/v Godspeed

Nathaniel:

Could you post a few images of your Cape Horn installation??

Rod
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [bcc] Cape Horn Windvane

We very satisfactorily installed our Cape Horn outside
the boomkin making only a ss plate with a 2"
semicircle cut out for the vertical housing.  We chose
not to mount it inside the boomkin (at the apex of the
inverted V since we carry our propane tank on a ss
fitting carried on the boomkin.  The unit is supported
by the diagonal supports.
we matched top and bottom support brackets so a
through bolt held both /minimizing the number of holes