Shamrock's new scuttle hatch

Weather is clearing up of late, which has given us an opportunity to address the rebuilding of our scuttle hatch on Shamrock. We have been away from wood working for a few years, which equates to a little more time spend head scratching, sitting and thinking, marking and measuring, and muttering to myself.

Hats off to Sumio, Tommy, et.all at Sam L. Morse, the hatch has more compound cuts than a three legged monkey. If they charged you a small fortune for a replacement hatch, double the amount of the bill and send them a big fat check, they deserve it.

We departed from the original construction in few ways, to achieve a similar look in the end. We salvaged the original frame which was in perfect condition, cold molded two layer of Okumee 3/16 plywood in West Epoxy, making the laminate over sized and later trimmed to fit and epoxied into place. We cut 7/8" teak planks and bedded these in epoxy, cut and fit 3/4 x 2" teak eyebrows (trim) and epoxied into place with 3 screws per eyebrow to hold into place while the epoxy cured. The only 12 1" SS screws in the entire project were used to hold the eyebrows as the epoxy cured, screws serve no purpose after the epoxy cures. All the teak tread are free of screws, no bungs to pop out or screw holes to leak. Except for the glue joint where the eyebrow attaches to the hatch, there is no exposed epoxy joints, protecting the epoxy from direct sunlight. Except for the lack of teak bungs in the tread, no one will know the difference from its outward appearance with the exception of the slightly
taller eyebrows.

The center teak tread section of the scuttle hatch will be left bare teak with Teak Deck Systems caulking, the eyebrows will be varnished and the sides of the hatch below the eyebrows will be painted ivory to match the hull.

For the life of me I don’t understand why, I see the trend of varnish, Cetol, Armada, Bristol Finish etc. being used to seal the teak treads on hatches, they become slippery and dangerous when wet? The treads look beautiful when varnished as our boat was when we got her, the beauty soon faded as I slipped and took a nasty fall in a blow a few years back. Thankfully, I was wearing a harness and tether, otherwise I would have been fish food.

Baring and incident of the Empire State Building falling on the hatch, it should be bullet proof, or at least breaking wave resistant, and yes, a little on the heavy side. I’ll send some photo as things progress.

Marty Chin