standing rigging

ok–so after two years tomorrow is the day. splash time. but first- no delrin washers to put between the tangs and the mast. i typically avoid wrapping anything stainless in rigging tape to cut down on crevice corrosion. in an effort to keep the back of the stainless tangs from the surface of the al mast should i avoid the use of a small amount of rigging tape on the backside of the tang only? will tef gel work better? all the standing rigging is new and i would sure like to avoid problems in the future. on the other hand i am not prepared to wait on delrin washers. so what is the general consensus on the best course of action…?i could use some good ideas.
thanks is advance for taking the time to reply.

Hi Jo Ann , I just fabricated a new mast and had it installed, so I had to answer the same question as you.

I ended up using polyethyline washers to use on the tang thru bolts to keep the ss tangs from contacting the aluminum shoulder bushings on the mast wall. I coated these plastic washers with lanocoat on both sides.

I purchased the polyethyline sheet from an art supply here in S’pore, but suspect you could purchase some small quantity from TAP PLASTICS, Home Depot, ect., in the US.

I used sissors to cut the OD from the sheet then used a leather hole punch to nibble out the center hole.

I am careful in choosing where to use Delrin as Roger has found Delrin to be hydroscopic and swell with the moisture, just the opposit is what is needed for this application.

Brion Toss would possibly reccomend using UHMW tape . It comes in 2" wide rolls with sticky on one side, you can cut it the same way as above, can be purchased from Brion or McMaster Carr, in different thickness.

Congratulations on the long hard work , the fun will soon begin .

jo anne,
I have used duct tape as a gasket before for exactly the same thing. Also smeared a little lanacoat on. Still looks good after 1 1/2 years. This was when I installed my new synthetic rigging.

If you have the time, Dougs fix sounds great. I like the UHMW idea also. going to get some of that stuff.

jo anne,
I have used duct tape as a gasket before for exactly the same thing. Also smeared a little lanacoat on. Still looks good after 1 1/2 years. This was when I installed my new synthetic rigging.

If you have the time, Dougs fix sounds great. I like the UHMW idea also. going to get some of that stuff.

ENJOY!

Anhydrous Lanolin works better than lanocoat. Lanolin hydrophilic and has a very high dialectic constant, i.e water and lanolin do not mix and current can not flow across a lanolin barrier.

You can find the “stuff” online or order it via a drug store.

Rod

For my two penn’orth, John Purins, the previous owner of Adventure turned me on to anhydrous Lanolin, which I use routinely on all threads or other contact points of dissimilar metals.
It is fantastic. The removal of screws placed years before couldn’t be easier and there is NO corrosion.

John sold me Adventure following a decision to move to Nebraska - not known for it’s sailing opportunities…I am happy to say that John has moved back to San Francisco, and has just bought another BCC!

I’m sure he will be contributing to the forum later, so will leave it to him to elaborate :slight_smile:

i’m using it all :))

thanks a million for the help.

The use of anhydrous lanolin on ships goes back to the days of the square rigger era.

Please note, anhydrous lanolin is not a lubricant.

Rod