The Fatty Knees 7' Dingy

I have the FK7 and a 9 foot Avon inflatable. I use the inflatable to row the short distance to my mooring. The FK7 lives on my boat in the middle, above the butterfly hatch.

The inflatable is a truck. I can fit 4 people and lots of cargo. However, it is too big to stow and takes too long to inflate/deflate. It is not fun to row or motor but it does get you there. The inflatable gets to sit on the mooring ball when I’m gone.

I’m really fast at getting the FK7 in and out of the water (less than 5 minutes). It is a joy to row (my daily exercise on trips). However, don’t put more than two people in it when rowing and three when using the outboard.

I have added removable wheels to its stern which make it into a big wheelbarrow on shore.

I have a Honda 4 HP motor which is a little big. I’d get a 2 cycle, 2 HP motor if I didn’t already own the Honda. However, I only use the outboard when I’m moving lots of stuff.

In the general discussion regarding dinghy choice, I am in the process of building an 11’ spindrift nesting dinghy that will be stored on the foredeck covering the forward hatch. ( I own a wooden BCC with a low forward hatch ). I realize that this storage location may not be an option for those of you on the Sam Morse versions but the idea of having an 11’ nesting dinghy has appealed to us in its ability to row well, sail well carry a lot of stuff but take up less space on board. I don’t know for sure but these attributes may make it worth a look for those of you storing the dinghy on the deck house.

drew

I have been looking at a Nestaway 7’10" stem dinghy. The storage footprint is a vey tidy 4 ft square. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of these boats or the manufacturer? They have a good website at www.nestawayboats.com

David

I am using the modified Tender Behind dingy that my friend made for me this year, I have not compared it with a Fatty Knees or Cherub but it can carry four people in a pinch and three easly. I am quite pleased with it.
Jonathan