Trying to locate Lex Whyte

I bought Dilkara (28 foot BCC - hull no 14) in winter of 1995 in Greencove Springs, Florida. She is gaff rigged. The bare hull was bought from Sam Morse in 1980. To the best of my information she was then shipped to the East Coast of USA where she was finished by Lex Whyte in 1983. I have been sailing her in the northern lake Michigan region since 1997 and trying to keep her looking respectable.

I would like to locate Lex Whyte to let him know that Dilkara is alive and well and looking pretty good for her age.

If anyone has information that will help me locate Lex, please let know via e-mail or phone me (231) 386 5135.

Hi Larry, You were kind enough to give my wife and i a tour of Dilkara several years ago. I still remember the beautiful Butternut interior and the traditional pilot cutter rig. We are going to be cruising the upper Lake Michigan area this summer so we can be close to the Elk Rapids area where my parents live. I hope we cross paths while we are in the area. We first met about 1977 when I was working for John Slaven. I think you had a Folk Boat at the time.

All the best

Eric Pomber BCC 29 Thistle

Eric, Thanks for your e-mail and for remembering Dilkara. Let me know when you plan to be in Suttons Bay area this summer. Hope you’re doing well. I talked to John Slaven about 6 months ago. He didn’t sound well.

Larry

Eric, Thanks for your e-mail and for remembering Dilkara. Let me know when you plan to be in Suttons Bay area this summer. Hope you’re doing well. I talked to John Slaven about 6 months ago. He didn’t sound well.

Larry

Hi Larry

We will be in the area the first two weeks in July. The plan is to sail up to Mackinaw the week before. Then we will spend two full weeks in the Grand Traverse area. I will stay in touch so we can try to get together. On another note I heard a few weeks ago that John had passed away. He was a real character and fun to work for. When I was 18 he had me deliver a CT 41 to the Thousand Islands area from Detroit with one other 18 year old for crew. We had no paperwork at all since the owner wanted to register the boat in New York. When I brought this up and that we had to go through Canada and the Welland Canal he told me don’t worry about chicken S*** details just get going. So we went and when we got to the Canal a boat came along side and told us to follow a U S Navy tug that was going strait through to rescue a grounded vessel off Niagra on the lake. No customs or officials of any kind. Just one of the many Slaven adventures I was involved in.

All the best

Eric