valve seats and guides for Sabb engines

Hello everyone

We are toiling away on Calypso, slowly checking things off of the to do list.  We are planning to deal with the engine, and were wondering if anyone out there knows if the valve seats and guides are engine specific or can we just go generic?

If the answer is, as I am guessing it will be, that we have to have Sabb parts, does anyone happen to have a current Sabb dealer name/number?  Our last contact was in 1996 and our information is at least that old.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Heres looking forward to the September rendezvous!

Cheers,

Nica

Calypso, BCC #6

Hi Jeremy,
I'm sure they are specific. Bill Miller in Florida is THE Sabb guy in the states. I'm at work right now and all the info is at home on the boat. I can get you his phone number tonight.
Also, there is a couple of mechanics in England who have/get parts and supposedly know the engines inside and out. I'll get you that email address as well.
Also, I think I have the Sabb factory fax number where you can order direct, but I believe they will not ship to the US (protecting their distributor) and there is also a language problem.
I think the big problem with the Sabb is its reliability. Needs parts so rarely that no one can make a living handling them. When I first got my Sabb 10 G in '83 (it's a ' 78) there supposedly two parts distributors in the US; Bill Miller in Florida had everything east of the Mississippi and another guy in Washington state had everything west of the Mississippi. I understand the guy on west coast was also a Sabb mechanic but sometime in the late '80s he moved to Canada and became a carperter because he couldn't make a living working on Sabbs. Anyway it makes a good story. Sort of like the Maytag repairman.
My Sabb hasn't seen a great deal of use but in the 20 years I've had it the only thing I had to do to it was replace the head gasket when I stupidly let it overheat(broken seawater strainer) and the teeth on the handcrank spokewheel wore themselves flat.
I'll email you tonight.
Stan Roeder hull #22 Waxwing

Jeremy and Nica Waters wrote:

Hello everyone –

We are toiling away on Calypso, slowly checking things off of the to do list.  We are planning to deal with the engine, and were wondering if anyone out there knows if the valve seats and guides are engine specific or can we just go generic?

If the answer is, as I am guessing it will be, that we have to have Sabb parts, does anyone happen to have a current Sabb dealer name/number?  Our last contact was in 1996 and our information is at least that old.

Thanks for any help on this one.

Here’s looking forward to the September rendezvous!

Cheers,

Nica

Calypso, BCC #6

Do you Yahoo!?
Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs