Virus

Roger:

No virus in your last message.

Rod
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [bcc] Chesapeake Rendezvous

Rod and the group. 
I do not think that virus alert was from me.  If this email has the same message please let me know and I will take care of it....  I had passed the message on to Sumio for him to send to the group....unfortunately, he did not copy and paste only forwarded it.  He is aware of his virus but do not think it is active....hope someone can shed some light.  I need to know if my email has the virus message would someone please respond.
Roger Olson
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 2:49 PM

Norton stop the virus when I tried to open Roger's message.

Rod
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 5:48 PM

Hey, did anyone else get this reported as a virus?

Thom Dyson
Director of Information Services
Sybex, Inc.

On 2/4/02 2:38:31 PM, "Roger  Olson" <info@samlmorse.com > wrote:
> ------------------  Virus Warning Message (on cookie2.sybex.com)
>
> email-body is removed from here because it contains a virus.
> ---------------------------------------------------------

At 08:56 PM 2/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:

Roger:

A file came through (unknown1214.data) which was quarantined by my Norton
Anti Virus. Norton recommended that I delete it as it was not repairable
and destroys any program that it infects…cheers!

Tom

Roger, I just installed the Norton 2002 antivirus and downloaded the updates before scanning for the e-mail virus.
The Norton summary indicated no virus found. 
Maybe it was not attached for some reason on your e-mail.
Thanks for the heads up.
Sincerely,
Mark Giegel
SV Itchen #73
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 12:39 PM
Subject: [bcc]

Ooops!  This stubborn Swede who was certain he did not have a virus was wrong. 
Michael Dugas emailed me that he downloaded, printed and deleted my attachment last January. Thanks for getting back to me Michael.
Then Thom Dyson emailed me that he thought I had a virus and gave me a site to check.  Sure enough it explained that this virus takes an old file and will send it to a random person in my address book.  Apparently, since Sumio Oya at the SLM company and I are temporarily using the same name, password, security numbers etc. the virus could come from either of us.  It looks like it used my file but was sent to recipients in his address book.
It appears anti-virus system with the group caught it and cleaned it before it was passed on.  However, If you did get my attachment and you did open it, please take a moment to search your files for this virus.  If you have it, it can be embarrassing.  I just got an email form Sheridan Press that they got an attachment from me with all my security numbers, bank accounts etc.  They said they deleted it....If any of you got the same one please delete it as well.  Thanks.
I really feel bad that I could have done this.  I did not know it and I feel badly that I was so certain I didn't have the virus.   I had Norton 2000 and did a live up date every two weeks.....now I know it is too long between updates.  Then I searched my files and nothing was found.  I was certain I was clean.  Thus my recent emails to the group.  I bought and installed Norton 2002 and bang...it found it and eliminated it.  Please check your files.
Now, I will return to my cave with my tail between my legs and quietly remain there...  Sincerely sorry.
Roger Olson