What boats do those who have sold their BCC's move into?

Anyone know? Just a curiousity i was wondering about as i look through the BCC’s for sale. I assume something larger… but nothing quite as beautiful !

thanks,

I am selling my BCC, having purchased a 30’ wooden Lyle Hess cutter; a
little larger but still very beautiful, both visually and underway. Once
having had a BCC I cannot imagine not having a Lyle Hess.

Carlos Fisher

On 2/17/06 9:15 AM, “BCC Forums” bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

Well that’s great news! Congratulations. I’d love to find a 32-34’ Lyle Hess cutter… would be ideal.

Any pics fo the new boat? And are you currently selling your BCC, or has it sold already? Im in the market…

thanks

Yes, my BCC is for sale; her name is Shanti (nee Luna), and some specs and
one pic are on the Sam Morse web site under boats for sale. There are other
pics of the interior of the main cabin (which was entirely refurbished by
Mike Anderson) at www.andersonboatworks.com; follow the photos link under
Luna – he even has a 360 degree view of the main cabin.

If you have any further questions my home phone is 949-548-9556 and work is
949-450-1750.

Carlos

On 2/17/06 12:14 PM, “BCC Forums” bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

Wow, she is amazing. I sent an email. Wonderful layout. Funny, the only Lyle Hess Cutter I’ve ever been on is the Pardey’s.

thanks,
Ben

Your wish in my command, want a 34’ BCC, not Sam Morse, nice boat, little different in some respects, still a good example of Lyle Hess design.

http://www.blockislandmaritime.com/channel.htm

On the subject of size, sailed across oceans in larger boats, still perfer our SLM BCC, sails like a dream in a blow, relaxing in light air, easy to navigate above and below decks. Yes we’re spoiled, we live on our Pan Oceanic 46’ and sail/cruise our BCC.

Regarding size, bigger boats are great in the marina, room to entertain a dozen in comfort, several state rooms if you mate gets on your last nerve. At sea it’s a different story, everything is king-sized, wet sails wear a ton, big jobs become overwelming, cost of ownership are mindboggling. God help you at sea if you miss the center cabin grab rail, instant human missle.

On our BCC, the settee berths are a little narrow at the anchorage without a lee cloth, snug as bug underway. We can brace from cabin side to cabin side moving about the cabin, forward bulkhead passage to the head gets lower with age, good old noggin nocker, no hat rule applies. It’s easy to move about deck, love those high bullwarks, sails are smaller, easier to handle, easy to single hand, aside from woodwork, easy to maintain, cost are miniscule compared to the 46’.

Sometimes size does matter, smaller is better. Had this yacht club member, a reader, you know the type, ranted and raved about the BCC, dying to see our boat. We took him over to see Shamrock, first thing out of his mouth was, “Gee it’s so small inside,” obviously he has never been to sea… I graciously showed him back to the safety of the big dock…

Thoughts on size, how much room do you really need, I’m 6’-2" and 220 pounds, never found shortage for room on our BCC. If there is not enough room, get rid of your excess junk, probably don’t need it anyway; humans are pack rats, a quick look around California, every town must have at least a dozen rental storage facilities, more going up every day. There is big money in storing everyones used junk, we just closed our 10’x10’ storage unit at Alameda Point $108.00 per month, newer unit across town is renting a 10x8’ unit for $250.00 per month. Bet I can find a better use for $1,300.00 we will save every year. It is far better to make your things fit your life, than to make your life fit your things.

If you and your mate need more space, willing to bet a larger boat won’t be big enough, might be time for a new mate or an RV.

Cheers,

Marty Chin

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: benjiwoodboat
Username: benjiwoodboat
Subject: Re: What boats do those who have sold their BCC’s move into?
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4484,4486#msg-4486

Well that’s great news! Congratulations. I’d love to find a 32-34’ Lyle Hess cutter… would be ideal.

Any pics fo the new boat? And are you currently selling your BCC, or has it sold already? Im in the market…

thanks