Zygote: Five Years Later

On 13 November 2000, Meryl and I joined Denny in the cab of his truck and took Zygote for what Denny called ‘the last time she will do 40 miles an hour’ as we left Sam L Morse Co and headed for the water.

That was one of our few disappointments: we only got up to 38 mph.

Next morning at 08:28 in Long Beach Marina, I discovered one of the drawbacks of owning a BCC28: a stranger rapping on the hull, bursting to know from where such a beautiful boat had come.

We all know that most things in sailing are learned the hard way. And I admit to being a slow learner and doer. I took close on a year to realise that Forespar had rigged the outhaul control line on Zygote incorrectly (it was made with a swaged eye splice directly to the outhaul car). I’ve only just recently cut the wire rope and swaged a new eye splice that I shackle direct to the clew of the mainsail (and so change the angle of the turn, making the outhaul easier to adjust and stopping the wire rope from chewing into the outhaul track).

I’ve also learned heaps from this Owner’s Group - including learning just yesterday that the parasitic current drain from my iCOM SSB is probably keeping a crystal warm and happy.

As part of passing on lessons I’ve learned from you and others, I’ll cascade a series of attachments to this message. The attachments are chunks cut out of the Operating Manual I wrote for Zygote. I cut out those chunks to make the OpMan smaller and more manageable. And to have small booklets to indocrinate guests and new crew (such as friends and family who will join us for various legs of our next voyage to Singapore and then thru Indonesia to Australia, and then back to Penang again, should we live so long). You don’t have to read download or read them!

Cheers and thanks

Bil

Attached is Zwatch.pdf (about 548 KB ) compressed ever so slightly as Zwatch.zip (about 522 KB ).

It’s Zygote’s “Watch-keeper’s Manual”, an attempt to raise the standard of the lookout on board (especially while I’m on watch). The shipspotting section keeps the 6 year olds amused.

Cheers

Bil

Zwatch.zip (521 KB)

Attached is Zpraxis.pdf, about 1.3MB. It’s an aid to memory for me, a teaching tool for new crew, and a workbook for recording some data while voyaging. My attempt to remember how to sail at least as well as I used to, and to get others to sail at about the same standard. You can probably do better.

To work around the Forum’s rules on max file size and file type, the file is presented as a 2-part zip file. And then one part has been renamed. So to join the parts together, you need an unZip client, such as WinZip, and then do the following:

1. Download Zpraxis2.zip and Zpraxis2a.zip (580 KB and 571 KB );
  2. Rename Zpraxis2a.zip to Zpraxis2.Z01 (ie remove the terminal ‘a’ and rename the file extension ‘zed zero one’ or, for those of you who are challenged by dialect, zee zero one);
  3. Point your unZip client at Zpraxis2.zip (not at *.Z01).

Should work. Or not.

Cheers

Bil

Zpraxis2.zip (570 KB)

Zpraxis2a.zip (580 KB)

Attached is Zsib.pdf, about 485 KB, compressed as Zsib.zip, about 414 KB.

This is slightly updated from the version I had earlier posted on the yahoo.com group site (thank goodness we’re no longer with yahoo.com, so I don’t have to question the ethics of the treatment of Shi Tao by yahoo.com). I’ve added the heights of the centroids of the storm jib and the trysail (see Table 2 on page 3). I am still unable to calculate (or find by practical experiment) the angles of heel that would cause downflooding through the portlights etc (see Table 3 on page 4; if you have a slow knockdown, please note the angles of heel that cause downflooding and tell me!).

A typo on p. 7 has been corrected.

Cheers

Bil

Would you like a baseball cap, jacket, or polo shirt bearing a BCC logo?

Most all shopping malls (or at least the ones where I’ve lived in the past deacde or so: that’s Manila, in the Philippines; and Penang, Malaysia. If you live in a developed country, your mileage will likely vary) have an embroidery shop with a computerised machine to add personalised logos to towels, clothing etc.

The attached BCC111logo.zip, about 7 KB, contains:

BCC111.stx - about 5 KB. *.stx is one of the three or four most commonly used embroidery stitch formats. It’s a version of the *.gif format and includes the stitching information, including where the needle starts and how it should move.

BCC111.gif - about 5 KB. This is the same file, converted into *.gif so the curious can see.

BCC111.stx creates a logo similar to that on the bronze caps on the Samson Posts of the Sam L Morse Co. boats: the letters BCC encircled. Then it adds 111 (the hull number of Roger Olson’s Nereus) underneath.

To use, copy BCC111.stx onto a floppy disc and carry along to your local embroidery shop (if you don’t have one near you, do yourself a favour and get yourself to Manila or Penang). The embroidery shop should be able to edit the 111 into the text of your choice (ie your own hull number, boat name, or whatever text you want) for a nominal fee. Then choose a jacket, cap, polo shirt, towel, whatever and have fun.

Cheers

Bil

BCC111logo.zip (6.61 KB)

I cant get the 2nd set of archives to work (Zpraxis). Winzip says the second piece is not a valid archive and the first wont open without the second. If you can send me a private message with the file? Maybe that would work? Very interested in reading your manual.

Regards,

K

I cant get the 2nd set of archives to work (Zpraxis). Winzip says the second piece is not a valid archive and the first wont open without the second. If you can send me a private message with the file? Maybe that would work? Very interested in reading your manual.

Regards,

K

Bil,
I was able to open all the zipped files without any problem, using WinZip. Thanks for all that info, and very interesting to see the interior arrangement. The major difference is that Zygote’s fuel and water tank layout is different from ours. Itchen’s forward water tank occupies the space of Zygote’s #3 & #4, and our aft water tank is in Zygote’s lower fuel tank space #2. Fuel tank # 1 is the same. Total tankage for Itchen is fuel 30 gal. and water aprox. 70 gal.

Is #6 (Generator) in a port cockpit locker? How about the stbd quarterberth space - I see you have a battery at the forward end below it, but what’s above & aft?

Scott

Scott: Hi!

Yes, the genset occupies the port cockpit locker. A noisy fellow, but worth his passage. Mr G can produce as much as 250 Amps of 12VDC (but the battery bank would have to be way low for that) and also drives, via a pulley, the high pressure pump to put the feedwater through the reverse osmosis (RO) membranes.

You’re right, Zygote does not have a stbd quarterberth. Instead she has a wet locker (ie a hanging locker that drains to the bilge) used to stow foul weather gear and life jackets. When voyaging, we try to keep wet and salty clothes and bodies aft of the wet locker.

The wet locker also houses the two 40" RO membranes, supposedly capable of 40 gph (when new - they’re 5 years old now), and the control panel for the RO system. Below and inboard of the wet locker is a battery box, with 3 Group 27 AGM batts.

The RO system is why Zygote only has 40 gal of freshwater tankage. We carry an additional 5 gal in a jerry jug and an emergency reserve of bottled water.

Aft of the engine bulkhead is a stbd cockpit locker, accessed from the cockpit. The stbd cockpit locker has velcro strips around the rim of its opening, holding a large canvas bag, shaped so its bottom sits on the hull, in place. I call the canvas bag the ‘rope locker’ and use it to stow the whisker pole guy lines, cockpit cushions, flares, and - when underway - the awnings. At times, fenders and docklines find their way there.

The stbd cockpit locker also houses the pre-filters for the RO system and the combustion chamber for an Espar diesel-fuelled heater.

I plan soon - ie when and if I have time before we leave on our next voyage - to upload the latest version of Zygote’s Stowage and Stores manual. It’s a booklet recording the location of all fixed equipment aboard and with spaces to list all the provisions and stores.

Cheers

Bil

The revised SIB.

Zsib.zip (413 KB)

Attached to this post is Zstow.pdf (about 271 KB ) inside the Zstow.zip container (about 217 KB ).

This is Zygote’s Stowage and Ship’s Stores Manual.

I would love to be completely obsessive and have a true and accurate list of what everything is and where it all is. I’m not and I don’t. I have a lousy memory. And am caught in the contradiction that I want to be able to put my hand on something ASAP.

This (or my printed version complete with pen and pencil additions, strikeouts, and attached pages detailing serial numbers, provisions, and shopping lists) is the best I have.

I share it thinking that you might want to adapt or improve it. Or disregard it completely.

Cheers

Bil

Zstow.zip (216 KB)

Attached is BCC28-116 Zygote’s Crew Information Book, updated to v1.1 (Zcrew.pdf, about 253 KB, inside the zip container Zcrew.zip about 216 KB ).

I started the Crew Info Book back in 2005 when trying to solicit friends and family to crew Zygote on her most recent long voyage, 4,000 miles from Malaysia to Australia.

My aim was to manage expectations and remove fears. I struggled to work out what ought be in the book. I’ve revised it several times (it once had four appendices, now only two).

In the end, Meryl and I did the voyage without additional crew. That perhaps suggests that Zcrew failed to do its job. Or that we need to change our family and friends!

I’m open to suggestions about additions, changes etc to make the Crew Information Book better. And BCC28 owners are of course free to borrow any or all of it.

If I find lots of time on my hands over the next few months, I’ll try to get Zygote’s Operating Manual (now renamed Boat Information Book) into shape so I can post it.

Cheers

Bil