Zygote via Russia

In 13 years of cruising, we’ve met several Japanese cruisers, one or two South Korean cruisers, and now … our first Russian cruisers.

Evgeny and Pauline on Julietta, a big Hanse, arrived in Scarborough Marina a few weeks ago. We chatted with them in the cockpit of Zygote and they invited us to dinner on Julietta (and taught us how to drink vodka! Really. It’s not as complex as the tequila - salt - lemon ritual, but Meryl reckons it does something).

Evgeny runs a rich weblog and a thick set of Facebook pages with thousands of Russian followers. He does sail training for Russians, to UK Yachtmaster standards, who fly out to join Julietta on a voyage.

If you point your browser to http://seapractic.ru/blog/2013/12/15/avstraliya-stoyanka-v-brisbene-ponton-f-v-gostyakh-na-yakhte-zygote/ and let Google Translate do magic, you’ll see and read about Zygote, Meryl, and myself.

In other pages you’ll see Evgeny and Pauline discovering Australia and vessels in Scarborough Marina. And many pages documenting their earlier adventures (highlights include jury-rigging in Easter Island and installing a new mast in Tahiti).

Cheers

Bil

Thanks Bill, very interesting.

I didn’t tell you how to drink vodka!

It’s all about the idea that downing a shot glass of vodka temporarily changes the sensitivity of one’s sense receptors, particularly the senses of smell/taste.

So …

1. before downing that shot glass, you prepare by having at hand some object - typically a foodstuff, a fresh bread roll, or even your partner’s hair - to which you relate;

2. then exhale;

3. down that shot glass; and then

4. inhale, breathing in the odor/fragrance of your chosen bread, foodstuff, or lover’s hair.

Bil

Hi Bil, I second Gary’s comment as to being interesting. I’m a little rusty with my Russian…but was able to get the “arrangement” comment under the Freehand wheel photo.

Zygote looks great, you really keep her up nice!

All the best, Mike Anderson

BILL!
Tried the vodka. The hair did smell better…

I think a gently rocking boat makes the vodka swirl a bit going down. Thus releasing vapor and adding to the experience.

hic…

Mike: Hi!

You’re too polite.

We did some paintwork during haul-out a month or three back.

We’re only part way through a long job list - you will have noticed that the mainsheet blocks are not mounted on the taffrail (they’re awaiting the varnish brush), the Freehand sail is not mounted on the wheel (same!), and the mahogany trim around the hatch needs to be stripped and shown the varnish brush.

Today’s job is to replace the rubber diaphragm and the joker valve in each of our two Henderson Mk V pumps (one is the manual bilge pump, one the Lavac head pump).

Cheers

Bil

Evgeny and Pauline of s/v Julietta have met Lin and Larry Pardey at Lin and Larry’s home in New Zealand.

Should you wish to see inside Lin and Larry’s home, point your browser to the relevant page of Evgeny’s web log. If your fengshui is good, Google Translate will likely provide you with the lingo of your choice.

See: http://seapractic.ru/blog/2014/02/10/novaya-zelandiya-ostrov-kavau-v-gostyakh-u-lin-i-larri-pardi/

Bil

And Evgeny and Pauline with Lin Pardey on Taleisin:

http://seapractic.ru/blog/2014/03/10/novaya-zelandiya-9-10-marta/

(scroll down, young man, scroll down)

Bil

A translation from Russian:

1320 Kingfish caught.

Today we go to the island of Kawau

1730 anchored in the North Bay, not far from the house, Lin and Larry Pardy. Again, we have them at a party.

Left in the picture house Prada, just to the right on the slope - Account Lin, near the wharf - workshop and Larry Bristol Channel cutter “Taleysin.”

We returned here specifically here to take a closer look this Purdy boat, which is already a legend. “Taleysin” is 35 years old. The boat reflects the concept of a circumnavigation classical sailing yacht. In “Taleysin” no motor, no refrigerator and no sophisticated navigation devices. With a narrow 29 foot lightweight body “Taleysin” easily competes with modern 40-foot boats.

The boat is very reliable in any stormy weather proof are stories and books about Purdy experienced storms.

Inside, everything is easy and comfortable. No extra mechanisms. From a conversation with Lin: “You come into port with a long list of repairs, maximum, that we do - check the sails, everything else on” Taleysin “can be put in order on the way.” Well, it’s true.

Sleeps four, but in the long voyages Lin and Larry prefer to go alone.

Small quarterdeck

The boat is for sale. Price NZ $ 175,000. A lot of money, of course, but if you compare this boat with plastic Bavaria … You understand. Now Russian craze sail gaining momentum. There are very interesting projects, but these boats do not have much. Alas, we do not have enough traditions. Maybe there is someone will buy this boat in our fleet? However, there is a caveat: Purdy recently denied a wealthy Italian buying “Taleysin.” Purdy said that the boat should continue voyages, it was built for the open sea …

It is a pity that did not see Larry today. Gave him “Hi” through Lin.

1905, weighed anchor and moved to the Bay Bon Accord.

John: Hi!

I’ll pass on your translation to Evgeny and Pauline. :{)

Cheers

Bil

Pauline spent two weeks living aboard Zygote. Evgeny spent a few hours on Zygote.

Both noticed the resemblances between Taleisin and a BCC immediately. Pauline proudly told Lin Pardey that she’d lived aboard Zygote (Lin likely was too polite or astonished to comment).

That’s to explain why Evgeny’s blog used the terminology ‘Bristol Channel Cutter “Taleisin”’ instead of the more correct ‘Lyle C. Hess-designed cutter “Taleisin”’.

Bil