25 years and I finally have my BCC

Hello all! I just acquired Grey Mist hull #035. She’s gutted except for bulkheads and engineless. But I’m in love. All the important bits are there even all the sails. Hull is in fantastic shape. It will be moving to a workshop in central Wisconsin in a few weeks once the weather settles. I’ve dreamed of these boats since I was cruising in my early 20’s. I’ve had several Cheoy Lees and a Valiant 40. But this boat has always been the one. I look forward to sharing progress and contributing here and on Facebook.

2 Likes

Hi Gary congrats on getting your BCC I did a total refit in 2015 to 2017

It’s quite a challenge but very rewarding
If you have any questions feel free to ask

2 Likes

Wow you really had your work cut out for you. Grey Mist has been under cover for years and in remarkable shape on the exterior. I’m excited to unwrap her this spring.

1 Like

Wish I had your mad skills. I hope you are documenting all this. Cheers and congrats!

1 Like

I have over 1200 pictures of the refit interior and exterior it took 3 years to complete let me know if you need any up dates

2 Likes

Jack,
I’m about two year from beginning our major refit before we head off full time cruising. I’ve been thinking a lot about the covering boards, hull to deck joint, and bulwarks. If you have some time, I’d certainly appreciate a chat on the topics seeing the photos you posted.
Cheers,
Mike

Jack,

I’d love to see some photos of the forepeak. I’d like to add a berth in mine with an exposed anchor locker. I’ve seen something similar years ago

Hi @Jack_Borden - what material did you use for your new coverboard? Wood coverboards seem to frequently suffer areas of rot. Wondering if you went with a synthetic - like Coosa board.

Cheers,
Jeremy

I used White Oak , but a composite material might be a good choice definitely worth looking into . Once marine Paint is applied you would not see any difference . Just be sure to put a good coat of Sikaflex underneath to keep any moisture from entering through the Bulark bolts .

1 Like

Hi Mike
Be happy to chat about the cover boards , and Bulwark and deck joints I’m not always on this site but you can reach me at my email is Jackborden@shaw.ca
All the best
Jack

1 Like