26 Jan 2012 depart Las Palmas Gran Canaria 23 Feb 2012 arrive St. Martin 2956 miles

After 8 seasons in and out of Las Palmas I find I?m sailing later each year. I can blame the wait on light and variable winds until the 25th but the real winds finally showed and the sad time came to leave this behind. Cleared the south of the island before dark. Still some traffic and costal slop, but I?m free of the land. First morning, the wind?s gone a little light. Pico del Teide on Tenerife clear until noon, an almost 100 mile crystal view and Hiero just visible as a fuzzy spot in the north away 45 miles. Only a slip of the moon shows above the sunset now. And no more than sunlight and sea out here in the morning. Wind is failing. 3 days of wind speeds up and down but now blowing steady force 5. A day of six and slop and a jib old in miles shredding. Hank on my #2 Red, older in years but wiser. Days of programming a new Nimble version, good starboard tack work. Wind holds on 5. Good sea and sunny skies. Perfect conditions down below in the cabin. Slammed by a rogue greenie, wet and wet inside and damn the open ports. Monty unhinged by the force, but a quick repair I know already. More days of five with clouds and passing rain. Programming when I?m not fiddling a reef in or out of the main. Caught fish, ate cow. A squall opened a seam in the main, only a few stitches needed. The cloth is still strong. More days of programming. Gone is the wind. Birds around now. Must be just a few days more. Did I say I needed wind ? Working on the computer when the boat is flat is easy. This VMG/CPA display is a better idea than I thought. Almost impatient now and slowing to make land on a morning sea breeze. Anchor short of the bridge before the lift and breakfast in the pan. And I?m here.

See more of this…