A new sailor

Sometimes I forget what it was like when I first started sailing. All the new sensory input and knowlege that needed to be mastered. I have someone new in my life and shes a keeper. SHANTI thinks so too. Plus she is having her first experiences on a BCC…how lucky is that? :smiley:

Anyway, she has a blog. Her latest post I thought was worth sharing here. Enjoy!

I?m a newbie in the sailing world.

I have just entered the world of sailing. The sailor that has captured my heart has also introduced me to keels, masts, jib sails and knots. Lots and lots of knots. I never realized that sail boats were held together with so many different types of knots. There is the anchor hitch used to attach a line to an object, The rolling hitch for exerting force along another line, The sheet bend is used to attach two similar lines together just to name a few.
But aside from learning how to tie a knot, there is the ride. It?s when the wind catches the sails and the boat takes on a life of its own. It becomes light and fast as it skims the surface of the water.
I was born and raised in Minnesota land of 10,000 lakes and millions of power boats. And yes I was a power boat fanatic. (They always say opposites attract) Owned my first one at 18 and sold my last before moving down to St.Thomas.
For a girl I could talk Mercury inboard/ outboard verses Chrysler out board with the best of them.
Now horsepower has been replaced with weather reports of wind speed and direction.
Relying on the wind or lack of it to dictate your destination takes a bit of getting use to. I am learning to sit back and let Mother Nature work her magic and its starting to be a wonderful experience. I have seen the best sunsets on the water without the drone of a motor or the smell of fuel. The plowing through waves racing along other sail boats has exhilaration. Even waiting for the wind to fill the sails lends to discussions, if not lessons on knot tying.
We plan on trip to Jose Van Dyke, Tortola and Virgin Gorda in the near future I?ll let you know if my enthusiasm continues, but I wish we had a bigger motor on the Dinghy.
Deb McDonald

See attached photo

Her blog is here http://www.beachweddingsbydeb.com/wedding-blog/

Cool!

I thought sailboats were held together with 5200? She’ll learn!

Gary, I couldn’t be happier for you after reading this post.

And to Deb, My name is Mike Anderson, builder of the Freehand Steering System.

I’d like you to know that I’ve known Gary since I was 13 years old (now I’m 55), he taught me Sailing, Diving and Underwater Photography. I owe a lot of what I know and enjoy this wonderful lifestyle to Gary.
He has a wealth of knowledge and is a quality man, doing quality work.
I couldn’t be happier for the both of you.

All the Best,
Mike