ABI anchor windlass - broken springs

Hello everyone,

“Gertrud” has an old (original with the boat in 1977, I believe) ABI manual windlass. It’s a bulletproof machine except for one problem: the whole shebang depends on two small pawl springs which, when broken, bring the whole thing to a grinding halt. I’ve replaced the springs twice in the last three years (ordered expensively from Simpson Lawrence spare parts in the U.K.) and the second set has just broken as well, after, I would guess, less than two hours of use.

It’s a fixable defect but time consuming: the windlass has to be removed, capsized, opened up, all the innards removed (packed in grease), the springs replaced and everything reassembled.

Has anyone else had this problem?

There was a post a few years ago where someone mentioned the same difficulty, but no responses that I could see.

Many thanks for any advice or help.

Derek Lundy
Gertrud, BCC 23

Hi Derek,

I had replaced mine this past year(winter) but had it done by Ron at RC Plath in Portland. Hopefully it will last more than a few years. Yours seems awfully short particularly in view of how long the original springs lasted (in my case over 25years). I have had more than a couple of hours use since I put it back in place. When it did go out last year in the Broughtons I had thought of other options but keep coming back to the simplicity of this SL knockoff. How do you lubricate yours? I use gear oil which will alert me to seal leakage as well as to provide instant lubricant. A possible disadvantage of grease is its need for friction to be an effective lubricant although I know many use it in this situation.

I’ll post an update particularly if I run into trouble.

Cheers,
Tom
Terrier BCC 31

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I believe the original springs did last a long time. Part of the problem I think is that the replacements from Simpson Lawrence were close to fitting, but not quite and I had to reform the end loops for the set screws. I assume this work hardened the spring end and hastened its death. Maybe more than anything I need exact parts - which seem impossible to get. But I also suspect I may not be putting the springs in quite right - not getting them quite in line with the direction of pull for example.

Mine is lubricated by grease. That’s what was packed into it the first time I opened it up and I just replaced it.

This time I’ll probably get a professional to look at it. Everyone’s too busy now, but during the winter. Or I might break down and actually buy a new one - but still manual.

all the best,
Derek
Gertrud BCC 23

which ABI are you talking about? One or two speed?

Two speed, Gary. I’ll try to attach a photo of a very similar model although mine, unlike this specimen, is definitely not shiny and bright.

Derek
Gertrud
BCC 23

Two speed, Gary. I’ll try to attach a photo of a very similar model although mine, unlike this specimen, is definitely not shiny and bright.

Derek
Gertrud
BCC 23

Derek
Gertrud
BCC 23

LundyWindlass2.jpg

Derek,

As you may know, RC Plath still builds the single speed which ABI also copied. Ron is totally familiar with both SL and ABI as well. He may be able to give advice on springs although I furnished him with a pair from SL Spares. As the fall rains descend a trip to Portland might be nice!
Cheers,

Tom
Terrier BCC31

Tom, many thanks for the suggestion. I’ll get in touch with Ron at RC Plath.

all the best,

Derek
Gertrud
BCC 23

Iduna is fitted with a single speed RC Path which works flawlessly. I replaced the sintered bronze bushings and installed a new silicone bronze cog (RC Plath).

Rod
BCC IDUNA

Iduna is fitted with a single speed RC Path which works flawlessly. I replaced the sintered bronze bushings and installed a new silicone bronze cog (RC Plath).

Rod
BCC IDUNA

(edited)

Thanks Rod. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Plath, and one of my options is to buy a new machine that doesn’t rely on a couple of springs. I like the idea of two speeds, but I’ve hardly ever used the slower one on our ABI so presumably one is enough.

all the best,

Derek
Gertrud
BCC 23

IDUNA was cruised for about 6 years by the second owners and the third owner sailer her to the Caribbean and back over a 1 1/2 year time span. The single speed RC Path windless on IDUNA is original equipment. Our anchor is a 35 lb. CQR with 100 ft of 3/8" hi-test chain and somewhere on the order of 200 ft of three-strand nylon rode. My wife routinely does the anchor work.

Rod
BCC IDUNA

IDUNA was cruised for about 6 years by the second owners and the third owner sailer her to the Caribbean and back over a 1 1/2 year time span. The single speed RC Path windless on IDUNA is original equipment. Our anchor is a 35 lb. CQR with 100 ft of 3/8" hi-test chain and somewhere on the order of 200 ft of three-strand nylon rode. My wife routinely does the anchor work.

Rod
BCC IDUNA

Rod, you’ve solved my problem! I’ll get my wife to haul the damned thing up. Should have thought of that before.

cheers,

Derek
Gertrud
BCC 23

Follow up on broken springs on an ABI 2 speed windlass

I had the springs replaced (using SL Spares) in 2014 and had used the windlass about 50 times since when the springs again broke. The problem appears to be partly due to the SL spares not being the correct spring. The “eyes” of the springs are smaller than the screw shaft that attaches them and doesn’t allow for free rotation. It would seem that simply replacing them will be a set up for an early inevitable failure. One option may be replacing the nylon bits that the springs are attached to with the original SL nylon parts if they are interchangeable. Another option may be replacing the screws with a smaller diameter and with a small bushing to allow the spring to rotate with the nylon part.

I am also hesitant to replace the ABI, but if I can’t improve the spring attachment I will. Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Tom, I opened the Forum this morning for the first time in many months (don’t know why it’s been so long) to see your message.

My sympathy for your continuing difficulty with the windlass. My latest repair job - summer 2014 - didn’t last long. I annealed the SL spring heads, reworked them to fit the screws, but the windlass broke down again after about 30 or 40 uses. The springs just don’t line up properly. I was going to try exactly what you’re suggesting - smaller screws and a bushing - when another, newer ABI two speed came available and cheap from a fellow sailing club member. The new windlass is an 800 Series model in stainless steel. It has a slightly different footprint from the bronze ABI and I had to fill holes and drill new ones, but otherwise seems identical. I gave it a good workout this summer and so far so good. I haven’t opened it up (it’s lubricated with gear oil rather than grease) but I gather from its previous owner that it has chain instead of springs for this crucial function. We’ll see how it goes.

Good luck with your repair. If my new one breaks, I may go electric in spite of the wiring hassles.

Derek
BCC 23, “Gertrud”

Hello Derek,

I have just returned from “Terrier” and her windlass. It would appear we both had very similar failure times and mode. I had a very wise colleague inspect the windlass and he concludes that the springs needed to rotate. He is also going to “copy” the nylon bits to allow a smaller screw that will acommodate the SL springs. BTW, I have not found the parts from the SL 555 to be interchangeable. So, I will continue to use the ABI! Yes, there are times I wish I had an electric windlass or better hydraulic, but there is something cathartic when winching in the anchor by hand. Cheers,

I just picked up a used ABI two speed windlass with mismatched and stretched springs. Trying to get it working, replaced the springs with a set from the hardware store that “seemed about right”, but having a hard time getting it to work right. Frustrating lack of info on these on the web.

What is the correct orientation of the springs and mounts? Is spring tension critical? I am planning on calling RC Plath in Oregon (503) 668-5757 that advertises repair service on these and whom I assume can supply correct springs if needed.