abi bronze windlass

A good decision.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 3:20 PM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

Yeah I posted a message that I wanted deleted, there is a way to do it, John Cole can help.

I have a saved search for a few things on ebay and see an ABI windlass for
sale about every four months if anyone is looking for one. Over the past
year they have gone for between $700 and $1500.

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

HiJoAnne,
The “ABI windlass” is also currently made and supported by Plath,and has been for over 50 years. It is the Plath windlass 7b. Albina used to make them also. So if you want parts/repair, Plath is the place to go,apparently. Incidently, there are 2 on ebay now, vary in price from $500 to $1500 ???
Patrick
s/v Nereus

patrick,

thanks a million. i need an new ratcheting arm. i thought i was going to have one fabricated. i’ll check with plath first.

best regards,

IDUNA’s windlass is an RC Plath. ABI purchased two Plath winches and
manufactured the copies in China. I am told the Plath windlass is based on
the old Idea windlass.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

jo anne,
To make a handle yourself is easy. This is what I did for the very windlass you have. Although it was lost over the years.

Go to ShieldSquare Captcha
and order some bronze flat bar. I don’t know if the link above is the correct dimensions, but thats easy to check.

Then go to you local bicycle shop and buy a grip for the end of it. Or you could sandwich some wood on the end for a grip, and finish with some fancy rope work (thats what I did).

Hi Jo Anne,

Adventure’s windlass handle is a sturdy piece of round stainless steel tubing with the last three or four inches flattened so that it fits into the slot in the windlass.
Very practical, and easy to fit a grip on the business end.
It sits permanently in a vertical tube clamped to the nearest stanchion, and has a lanyard to the lifeline.
Works well for me.

Iduna’s windlass handle is similar. I installed a round head machine screw
and acorn nut through the flat section to prevent the handle from going too
far into the windlass slot and becoming stuck where the flat section flares
out.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:

any pics of abi windlass mounting would be appreciated.

thanks in advance for taking the time to post

I have a few in various states that might be helpful - if you are looking for anything in particular, let me know - can snap a few, i’m still living aboard.

thanks ben

those pics will do fine! i appreciate it