Another BCC Video

Shipmates:

We just uploaded a BCC sailing video to www.video.google.com . The scenes were taken on a 58 nm passage from Saint Michaels to Solomons Island, Maryland in late October 05. This passage was made in heavy air conditions for the bay.

The link is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1035625576901962664

You can also do search using the keywords “Bristol Channel Cutter” to find all BCC videos.

Enjoy,

Fair Winds,

Rod
BCC IDUNA

Hi Rod,

Nice vedio. I glad to see you noted “Heavy air conditions for the bay”, on the Pacific Coast we call it light air sailing :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Marty Chin, BCC Shamrock
BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: IDUNA
Username: IDUNA
Subject: Another BCC Video
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4399,4399#msg-4399

Shipmates:

We just uploaded a BCC sailing video to www.video.google.com . The scenes were taken on a 58 nm passage from Saint Michaels to Solomons Island, Maryland in late October 05. This passage was made in heavy air conditions for the bay.

The link is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1035625576901962664

You can also do search using the keywords “Bristol Channel Cutter” to find all BCC videos.

Enjoy,

Fair Winds,

Rod
BCC IDUNA

Rod:

Is that a Cape Horn vane I see steering Iduna?  I have a Fleming...yet to be installed.......partly because it is heavier than I would like.  If it is a Cape Horn, I would appreciate hearing what you think of it.  Most of our Great Lakes trips are either hand steered or we use the tiller pilot.  Legs are getting longer as fair Ann increases her willingness to sail away (planning at least a solid month next season).  Having having a vane would make the steering less of a hassle as a tiller pilot cannot respond to little wind shifts and the resultant sail luff wakes me up from my naps.

Thank you much..............Tom

Looked like a Cape Horn wind-vane to me, friend of ours installed one a year back and sailed from California to Florida, unlike the BCC installation, he installed his in a Gulfstar 43, boring a hole in the transom, center cockpit arrange and control trim lines cleated in lazarette made it a less than stellar for adjustments, but for the most part it worked well. We have a number of sailors in the Bay Area who have the Cape Horn wind-vanes and swear by them, but in all fairness, the same can be said for Monitor, Aries and just about any well constructed servo pendulum wind vane.

We used a number of windvanes, Monitor, Cape Horn, Aries, most worked well, but as usual, none worked as well as they claimed. Light air, down wind, they all tend to wander, moderate to heavy air down wind worked fine, sailing to weather even in light air all worked well. We only steered 500 miles out of 2,500 miles on our last Pacific crossing, we hand steered some out of boredom and some out of necessity as low apparent wind down wind make wind vanes wander.

Our BCC has a Monitor, ugliest thing on the planet, but it works. Have a friend who hated the looks of it so much he sold his and bought another make, I’m sure opinions will vary, some points of various makes are more refined than others, they all seem to work, but I think it boils down to aesthetics these days than any real mechanical advantage of one model over another. To me, all wind-vanes are somewhat less than handsome additions to a BCC, but on a long passage, I’d rather read a good book or fish than hand steer.

Marty Chin, BCC Shamrock

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: tharrer
Username: tharrer
Subject: Re: [BCC Forum Post] IDUNA: Another BCC Video
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4399,4401#msg-4401

Rod:

Is that a Cape Horn vane I see steering Iduna? I have a Fleming…yet to be installed…partly because it is heavier than I would like. If it is a Cape Horn, I would appreciate hearing what you think of it. Most of our Great Lakes trips are either hand steered or we use the tiller pilot. Legs are getting longer as fair Ann increases her willingness to sail away (planning at least a solid month next season). Having having a vane would make the steering less of a hassle as a tiller pilot cannot respond to little wind shifts and the resultant sail luff wakes me up from my naps.

Thank you much…Tom

Rod,
Enjoyed your video. A great way to see another boat. Nice looking teak decks! Hope we can find a bunch of other owners who can make video posts. Your right, as long as “Bristol Channel Cutter” is a part of the title, all can be seen with that search. Thanks for adding to the collection.
Wayne Edney
BCC Odyssey