Battery location

I’m wondering where people have located their batteries on the BCC? As you know, the SML-built BCC’s have batteries located in the forward, starboard quarterberth. On my BCC, I expanded the battery bank, placing the house bank in the lazarette (I know, bad location!) and the dedicated engine starting bank in the forward, starboard quarterberth.

I am not happy with the house bank in the lazarette, as I have no doubt it adversely affects sailing performance, so I want to relocate those batteries, even if it means reducing the battery capacity.

I had thought about distributing batteries throughout the boat, but have recently learned that that is not a good idea because the temperatures are different at various locations which can have an adverse affect on battery life because of different charging regimes.

So, what have other people done?

Gary
Dioscouri (#064)

Adventure’s batteries are housed under the starboard quarter berth adjacent to the chart table/cool box. The charger is mounted on the starboard side of the engine compartment, inside the quarterberth. Everything is close with minimal wiring.
Access is relatively easy.
Battery monitor is to starboard of the switch panel

If you look up Battery Placement in Search, you’ll see several threads on this topic, including one in 2008 where I put in my 2 cents worth. We still like our under-the-ladder battery box.
Dan

Aha yes ! - I forgot to mention the engine start battery under the ladder ! The house batteries are under the quarter-berth.

FWIW , a caution , after loosing my fortune from the Oct 2008 market crash , I had to change my gel cell house batts to much less expensive wet cell batts, Ouch !

At the time the boat was dock bound , while we were fabricating a new aluminium mast on the weekends .

One weekend, we returned to the boat, to find that “rotten egg” smell, upon opening the sliding hatch , ??? Never had that before !

Seems that the temporary automobile 12 v batt charger we were using to charge the batt bank during the week , was over charging the wet cells , another Ouch !

A Very Dangerous Explosive Situation existed onboard . We were lucky this time , but now extra cautious .

If any of our owners are using golf cart wet cell batts in the under quarter berth area , that vent to the cabin opposite the stove , be aware that batt charging produces hydrogen (corrosion and explosive ) gas , in our cabins .

Just why is this gas not vented over board , I don’t know , but when ever it is possible , I will change back to gel cell or AGM batts to prevent a future melt down on my boat .

I especially like what Dan , of BCC svshaula , has done with his under ladder batt box and his choice of AGM batts , for that location .

T Y , Dan , for the photos !

Attached

Ahoy Brain Trust!

I was hoping to upgrade our Group 27 house batteries to some golf cart batteries (either T105 or J150)
https://www.trojanbattery.com/products/deep-cycle-flooded/signature-line-flooded-2/

Unfortunately, it appears that the starboard Quarterberth is just a touch too shallow with the current tray installed. Has anyone managed to fit these batteries in the Quarterberth?

A search of the forum pulled a few different threads on battery location but all were more than a few years old. Although it seems some have installed large banks in the lazarette, we’re hesitant to put a lot of weight back there. Plus, our energy needs are pretty modest and I’m confident we’d be in good shape with just a couple of golf cart batteries.

As always- I look forward to hearing everyone’s collective wisdom!
Cheers,
Mike
CYMBA
BCC #77

Ahoy Brain Trust!

I was hoping to upgrade our Group 27 house batteries to some golf cart batteries (either T105 or J150)
https://www.trojanbattery.com/products/deep-cycle-flooded/signature-line-flooded-2/

Unfortunately, it appears that the starboard Quarterberth is just a touch too shallow with the current tray installed. Has anyone managed to fit these batteries in the Quarterberth?

A search of the forum pulled a few different threads on battery location but all were more than a few years old. Although it seems some have installed large banks in the lazarette, we’re hesitant to put a lot of weight back there. Plus, our energy needs are pretty modest and I’m confident we’d be in good shape with just a couple of golf cart batteries.

As always- I look forward to hearing everyone’s collective wisdom!
Cheers,
Mike
CYMBA
BCC #77

Hi Mike, I have one of the first BCCs so it has a very different layout. She was designed without an electrical system or engine for that matter. She now has a brand new 2GM20 so next is designing an electrical system. I had a fiberglass battery box made that fits under the floorboards just forward of the ladder. Combined weight of the two group 31 AGM batteries is over 150 pounds and placing them low will allow for more sail. A small starting battery will be placed next to and above the engine. I haven’t found much guidance on battery placement so don’t know if this is a good idea. You are right, there don’t seem to be many options.

I want quick access to both the bilge and batteries. I’ve placed the battery box in the general location and show where access will be for the bilge pumps. I plan to tab some plywood chocks to support the battery box and have it all supported to take a knockdown.

A couple attachments to show scale. There is a lot of room under the floorboards and the battery box will be placed up high with lots of room below it. I want quick access to both the bilge and batteries. I plan to tab some plywood chocks to support the battery box and have it well supported in the event of a knockdown.

I would be reluctant to put much mass in the lazarette. Just too far aft.

Zygote carries 5 Group 27 Lifeline AGM batteries. Each had a theoretical 100 Amp.Hr capacity when new. And I think each has a mass of 29.5 kg (probably 65 pounds if my math is correct).

Two are in the larger-than-normal box that acts as the base for the companion. So they are on the centreline.

Three are a little higher, in a box adjoining the aft face of bulkhead 5 (the aft end of the icebox/chart table). Z doesn’t have a quarter berth. Outboard of that battery box is a wet hanging locker.

I only remembered today to take photos: see attached

Here’s a link to the previous thread on this subject that I should have included on my upthread post. https://samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,6293,6348#msg-6348

Thanks all for the thoughts, as always.

I like the idea of a battery box low, as in Vixen, but we have our aft water tank there.

I also like the idea of at least some batteries forward of the engine compartment, under the ladder. I need to do some measuring, but currently have two thoughts:

1. If we move the start battery under the ladder, then we may be able to fit the golf cart batteries under the quarterberth by shifting them so the long axis is longitudinal rather than athwartships.
  2. Raise the height of the quarterberth by about 1-2 inches to accommodate the golf cart batteries in the same configuration as they are currently.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, Golf cart batteries may be old school. It seems AGM batteries are now being made to handle the rigors of the real world. I went to a full day seminar run by Nigel Calder last year and he was really excited about Firefly AGM batteries They were just coming out and he said that they can be “cycled” a huge number of times before they degrade. He also said they hold up well to partial charging. His point is that you want to price a battery by the number of cycles, that determines the value. He used to be a big advocate of golf cart batteries. I’m sizing for group 31, but that being said, I’m also technically putting them in the bilge on my boat, In other words, you will want to discuss with someone who knows more than me.

Vixen,

I couldn’t agree more- I think AGM (and other battery chemistries) definitely pack more useable power in the same footprint. We’ll definitely be looking into other alternatives once we begin full time cruising in a few years.

Right now we’re still weekend cruising on the Chesapeake as we slowly refit the boat. Our longest trip has been one week anchorage hopping and our current needs are minimal (no refrigeration, a chart plotter we almost never use, etc.).

Additionally, we’ve had the boat for just over 2 years and I have no idea how old the batteries are (no one punched out the date tabs on the labels). The dimensions on the quarterberth are SO close, I thought for sure someone had gotten some golf cart batteries in there, which right now would be a very cost effective way for us to meet our current electrical needs.

Cheers,
Mike