BCC Coconut project photo's.

This is my new to me BCC Coconut, hull # 51. As you can see, I’ve got my work cut out for me. I’ve got the bowsprit, boom kin and both the salon and forward hatch. My biggest project is going to be restoring the mahogany. The prior owner let it go, so much so that its rotted and will need replacement. Cape George Cutters will supply the pieces I need and I’ll do the work. When I get photo’s of the deconstruction I’ll post them.

Rob Harring,

BCC Coconut.

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

May I suggest teak? I have mahogany also. If I had a chance to do it again, I’d
choose teak. Its been pretty hard to keep the mahogany in good varnished shape.

Mark Gearhart
s/v Godspeed

Hi Mark,
Thats my thought as well. Most of the mahogany is OK except the cap rail which covers’s the hull to deck joint. If I can get that off w/o wrecking it, I can use it as a template and I’ll do it in teak. The rest will be on a as time basis allows. Thanks for the input.

Rob Harring s/v Coconut.

Congrats Rob on the “new” boat. How did it get in such sad shape? Whats her story?

Matt Hedrick

BCC Gayle Force

I just looked at the photo’s.

Have you test sanded the wood in places? Freshly exposed mahogany has a distinct red hue and a none oily feel. Teak does not have a red hue is is feels oily.

Rod
BCC IDUNA

http://www.woodzone.com/woods/mahogany.htm

Loading (inspiration)

Sorry I haven’t replied sooner, you know how work goes…anyway, the prior owner just let her go, simple as that. The amazing thing is, he has pictures of her from the late 80’a and she looked awesome. I guess he just got old and burned out-oh well. Interior wise, he was a professional wood worker and it looks like a factory boat, just beat up. Si Ive got my hands full, but its a manageable, big, big project. I’ll post more pic’s as I start to work on her seriously.

Rob Harring
BCC Coconut.

I haven’t test sanded any wood yet, as I’m transportationally challenged at the moment, i.e. I’ve got to wait to move her to my storage facility. The transport guy was tied up and I cut him some slack to move bigger fish until he gets to Coconut. Meanwhile I wait. My 1st order of biz is to sand the wood and see what I got.
As soon as I know, I’ll post pic’s and pick your collective brains.
Thanks for the inquiries,
Rob Harring
BCC Coconut.

Rob,
The wood on our BCC, Jolie Brise, is mahogany. You may want to stay with mahogany as it may be a real bear to find teak at a reasonable price. You will need some stock with some width to cut to the curvature of the hull. In using short lengths you will have to scarf alot and that in itself is time consuming. Depending on how far gone the covering boards are you may be able to save them. Before you do any hard sanding on the wood you should try a good sharp scraper. I find that it is a bit easier on the wood and will not dig out any soft grain that may be present. Good luck on your project. If I can help with any wood tech let me know.

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise

Hi Rob,
Shaula (#59, 1981) is a factory BCC, done in Honduras mahagony. We kept it varnished for about 7 yrs in the Pacific NW. Since then (1988), we’ve been cruising in the tropics or near-tropics and are VERY happy that the bulwarks, bowsprit, boomkin, taffrail and cockpit coamings are painted. It was a lot of work to remove all the varnish, apply 2 coats of expoxy, then primer and finally enamel, but it sure reduced the maintenance time. We paint about every 3 yrs. The hatches are still varnished although we keep a sunbrella cover snapped over the forehatch. If you are planning to cruise in or near the tropics, I think you will never regret going for paint. We haven’t had any rot problems.

We’re presently cruising on the Queensland coast of Australia and don’t get to an internet connection very often. So I don’t visit this forum very regularly. Good luck with the refit.
Regards, Dan sv Shaula