Belt Sander, Belt delamination

Does anyone have a successful infield fix for sanding belts that break apart at the lapped glue joint.

Out here in Singapore, the glued joint on belts have a very short shelf life, because of the high humidity.

So, I am wondering if anyone has found a way to re-attach the belt joint, and can pass that info on.

Douglas

Douglas,
Nothing more frustrating than this. I don’t know what type belts you use but humidity and shelf life are a factor. What I have done to help with the BSBS (broken sanding belt syndrome) is to use iron on fabric patches. Cut the patch as wide as the belt and long enough to extend two to three inches on each side of the belt splice. Iron it on (non grit side) paying attention not to hit the splice too much with the hot iron as this will cause the glue in the splice to become weak. This will work with broken belts too, just be sure the belt surface is clean and dust free. After the patch is on sand the edges of the patch to a feather edge so the won’t bump. Hope this works for you.

Bob & Lois
BCC Jolie Brise

Dear Bob and Lois, gosh that seems like an excellent idea, to use iron - on patches, and I want to try that for a sanding belt repair !

Just where could I order these iron - on patches, from ??? Walmart , maybe ?

Here in Singapore , my Chinese-Singaporean wife, “Lang” , says that she doesn’t think that we can find the “iron-on” patches way over here , in S’pore .

Would you suggest another source, other than Walmart, if we can’t get the patches mail ordered and sent over here from there ?

Of course we went to the 3M sanding belt distribuator over here, first , but he didn’t have a solution or a way to help us, to get our Zirconia sanding belts, re-glued or re-laminated, back on line, He wouldn’t re-glue his failed splices, either !

International cruising requires inovation and creativity to solve mid-cruise problems, and I think your “fix” , just might work, to solve my sanding belt delamination problem .

Now to find a source for “iron-on” patches, that I can get mail-ordered , to Singapore , any ideas ???

Douglas

Thry these links:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=denim+iron+on+patch&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=2732784107&ref=pd_sl_15v7rqm4yi_b

http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_patches.html?gclid=CJjr6f3iwJsCFQRM5Qode1NgBg

Regards
John

Douglas,
Walmart should have them in the fabric section. I don’t know much about what you can buy in Singapore but Walmart would have them, Any sail maker,tailor or canvas worker would have them too. On line go to nexttag.com and search under fabric repair.

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise