Boom Leather

I’ve seen this on a few boats, and thru the search found this great pic of Scott’s boom. Scott, has this leather attachment method worked well for you? I’d like to do same.
http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/file.php?5,file=366

Also while I’m at it, your end cap on the boom is really nice, and provides an attachment for the topping lift. I don’t have that. Is that something you added, or did the boom come as such?

Thanks, Ben

Hello Ben,

Let me chime in though you had addressed Scott. That is my old BCC. I have been putting this leather boom pad on my boats as it makes more sense than attaching the leather to the notches on the boom gallows. This way no matter where the boom hits the gallows it will not ding up the varnish or the boom. Also makes varnishing the gallows easier as you don’t have to work around the leather on the notches.
You can see the leather pad on my CG 31 in attached. Works very well.
Best to you

Mark
SV “Amity”

Mark, thanks - I think it’s great.

Yes, Mark’s leather is still going strong after many years and is the best way to go – in addition to eliminating the need to leather each gallows notch it also protects the boom paint if it bangs into the side of the gallows frame. As for the end-fitting with clew outhaul roller and topping lift eye, I would guess that it is a standard fitting – Forespar? Holt Allen? Maybe Roger remenbers? It is a very nice fitting but I have noticed that some other BCC’s don’t have one like it.
Scott

benjiwoodboat Wrote:

I’ve seen this on a few boats, and thru the search
found this great pic of Scott’s boom. Scott, has
this leather attachment method worked well for
you? I’d like to do same.

Also while I’m at it, your end cap on the boom is
really nice, and provides an attachment for the
topping lift. I don’t have that. Is that something
you added, or did the boom come as such?

Thanks, Ben

Ben Eriksen
BCC #91 Elizabeth

Web Design | BCC Elizabeth

How do you attach the leather (glove?). Guess its glue? What works well with leather and aluminum??
Nate

I’m going to guess that its just tied together with a baseball stitch just like oar leathers… if you get it tight enough, no glue or fasteners should be required.

Yes, I used a leather punch and put a series of spaced holes ,much like your shoes. Just lace it up ( used leather laces ) and occasionally re-tie if needed.
I also used leather of 1/8" thickness…enough to offer protection while not too thick to form easily around the end of boom.

Best

Mark

I went to get a rough fit for the leather this AM, and see that my clew car is right where the leather needs to go, so making the baseball stitch would be complicated and prohibit the car from sliding. So Nate’s point about glue or some other attachment method has to be investigated. Pop Rivets? Screws? Barge Cement?
Hmmm…

Ben, it sounds as though your clew outhaul car may be set up for a shorter mains’l foot than Itchen’s? If not, have another look at that photo you posted http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/file.php?5,file=366, you’ll see that Itchen’s leather is comfortably forward of the car postion. It never interferes with the car and is perfectly placed to align with the gallows frame. Also, there’s no need for glue or fancy baseball stitchery, just punch a few holes and lace it on – any flat laceing material will work, even a nylon shoestring! THere’s no tendancy for it to slide around if the lacing is reasonably snug. If I had to jury rig a temporary solution in the absence of a good piece of suitable leather I would use a couple layers cut from an inner tube. I have some spare leather left over from last year’s spreader boot project and can bring enough for your boom when we meet at the rendezvous.
Scott

benjiwoodboat Wrote:

I went to get a rough fit for the leather this AM,
and see that my clew car is right where the
leather needs to go, so making the baseball stitch
would be complicated and prohibit the car from
sliding. So Nate’s point about glue or some other
attachment method has to be investigated. Pop
Rivets? Screws? Barge Cement?
Hmmm…

Ben Eriksen
BCC #91 Elizabeth

Web Design | BCC Elizabeth

Yeah I must have a shorter foot on the main. I can get leather just behind the car which will line up with the 2 outboard gallows spots, but not the center spot. However that doesn’t allow me to move the car back as the line/sail stretches. I’ve already had a hard time with that clew car getting good tension on the foot. It’s got alot of friction… so I’m sure I’ll be needing to tighten it up periodically.

Thanks for the leather offer – I do have some here I plan to use, so save yours for your next project :slight_smile: