bowsprit doug fir

Will be extracted shortly and wondering about the restoration thereof. It needs to come down to the bare wood and was previously coated with epifanes. Went well but has got beat up with anchors dinghy etc and I have fabricated bronze plate to protect all the spots of trauma.

I thought step one :- down to wood and coat with penetrating epoxy

2 once it don’t take no more inside half epoxy paint (which one brand name)

3 varnish the heck out of the bow portion

4 reset the cranes iron and we are off to the races… thats the plan. Best material for the reset of the cranes is…

Thanks everyone getting ready for the season, pen is to sail the thorny path, Gary you may have a visit. Lets hope all goes well.

I re did mine a couple of years ago. And will be doing another major refurbish, but not all this time.
First I will strip the varnished part down. Then coat with West using the 207 excelerator. Then 4 coats of Interlux Perfection 2 part varnish. So far in the Caribbean I have had this last 2 years until I needed a couple of touch up coats.

The inboard end is current painted white with a one part polyurethane. I am going to re coat with a 2 part polyurethane from Ace. It is $60 gallon as opposed to $100 quart for Awlgrip. Just used it restoring my Fatty Knees. Went on easily and over the top of of one part paint, which Awlgrip does not recommend.

I will probably be replacing my cranes iron with bronze and it may be tapered. But the stainless one I used 5200 to bed it as this is a glue and helps take the load. Note, this is the only place I use 5200.

I have attached pieces of brass half round to protect against abusive hardware.

Cheers

thanks Gary I leave for the boat on tues likely will spend 10 days working on it then with a bit of luck we shall be off and hopefully be down your way. So prepare to repel boarders me hearty.

Stewart Wrote:

Thanks everyone getting ready for the season, pen
is to sail the thorny path, Gary you may have a
visit. Lets hope all goes well.

For any upwind island-hopping route, I recommend browsing Bruce Van Sant’s book, ‘Tricks of the Trades’. BVS has written other books on the Thorny Path (see Books by Bruce Van Sant), some with tips specific to individual islands in the Caribbean.

In ‘Tricks of the Trades’, BVS occupies 50 pages with valuable stuff on the island effects on trade winds, hurricanes, etc.

BVS self-published his books. ‘Tricks of the Trades’ has a fault: page 91 is followed by p. 94 (i.e. pages 92 and 93, right in the middle of that most valuable section on how to work upwind against trade winds, are missing. The two pages are freely downloadable, as *.pdf, from the above URL). So here’s a tip: if you find a copy of ‘TotT’ at your local 2nd hand bookshop, point out that pp. 92-3 are missing and ask for a discount.

To finish off this ‘miscellaneous’ post in the middle of a ‘varnishing and finishing thread’, I will add the entry for ‘thorny path’ from Zygote’s word list (the latest version, not the out-dated version on the Net):

thorny path n. an island-hopping sailing route to windward, especially any of the routes south from the eastern coast of North America and against the prevailing trade wind. [from cruising English 1948 thorny path, term devised by Carleton Mitchell (in his 1948 cruising guide Islands to windward: Cruising the Caribees) to describe the island hopping routes for cruising sailors from the eastern coast of the USA towards South America; from poetic English 18th century thorny path, descriptor used variously for any difficulty path to be followed; from Middle English c1340 thorny, painful, worrisome (figurative use for the busy-ness and anxieties of life); from Old English c1000 ðorniȝ, thorny, abounding with thorn-bearing plants; from Old English c800 þornum (plural), thorns, a sharp stiff woody process on the stem of certain plants, a prickle; from proto-Germanic *þurnuz, a thorn, a prickle; from PIE *trunu, a thorn; from PIE *(s)tern, a sharp stalk, possibly the name of a thorny plant; possibly from PIE *(s)terh, stiff; + Old English c1000 pað, a path, a line of course along which a person, vehicle, or animal moves or plans to move; from Old English c700 paeð, a path or way beaten or trodden by humans or animals; from proto-Germanic *paþaz, a path; the probably from Scythian *panta, a path; probably from Old Persian *patha, a path; likely from PIE *pent, to find one’s way] Carleton Mitchell (1910-2007) was born in New Orleans and learned to sail on the nearby estuary called Lake Pontchartrain. When Mitchell’s mother asked her 10-year old son what he wanted to do, he said ‘I want to sail and to write about it’. He dropped out of Miami University, Ohio, hoping he could make a living writing Western novels. Failure led him to work as a stevedore in Miami, Florida, and then to find his way by sea to the Bahamas where he taught himself to be a great photographer. During World War 2, Mitchell organised and led (1942-6) the US Navy Combat Photography Unit. In 1946, he bought John G. Alden’s Malabar XII design and named her Carib before cruising the Caribbean. He paid his way with a photographic essay published in National Geographic and his cruising guide Islands to windward. In addition to authoring eight books, Mitchell won three Southern Ocean Racing Conference championships in the 1950s, three 635 mile Newport to Bermuda races (1956, 1958, 1960), and one Miami to Nassau race.

Thanks Bil I will try to write an epistle on my return about the trip. Lots of high points the lowest was dealing with officials in the Dominican.