Bristol Channel "Schooner"

Spent Some time at the Boat this week.
Update:
Cut out the bulkhead below the the companionway, Totally gone with “Dry-Rot”. being as it is non-structural I will replace with 3/4" okoume bs1088 marine plywood ply and build a new engine access. The Rot was from the seat scuppers with no tubes, and a compass hole with no compass draining on to it for many years.
Removed the teak from the cockpit seats the glass, and ply is sound. I am debating about re decking with African Mahogany or just paint and non skid?
I still need to attack the cockpit sole… this is a piece of 3/4" fir ply ACX or or CDX? its mush looks to be bolted on from the underside, most likely cut out when the engine was pulled for a rebuild.
Attached cockpit picture before doing this work

Lima33

Semper Fi

Cockpit update:
I cut the foot well out up to the deck/seats, All the plywood was shot. I rebuilt and epoxied everything. Put in new BS1088 ply and re-used the fiberglass well skins.
Made a mold and made a new fore end of the well that will house the instruments.

2 Likes

You are having way too much fun. Now you can really access your engine. I like that. Have you thought about drainage?

Hey Vixen.
I don’t know about the “Fun” but I like a challenge. I also enjoy getting (dock) attention.
As to "drainage I am installing cross draining scuppers at the forward end of the well, I increased the slope to facilitate this.
I am 90% sure now that I will be using Gel Coat not paint for the cockpit with Kiwi-grip non-skid, this is because the cockpit is all polyester.
Attached: Is a picture of the cockpit sole. It will be bedded and bolted down semi-removable. As you can see I added a hatch as well.

Lima33
Semper Fi

Paul,

We were Fritha’s second owners having purchased her from Dana and Carol. We sailed her out of Melbourne, Florida for about 12 years to the keys and to the Abacos every year. We added an engine and replaced some rotted wood but otherwise kept her simple. She was beautifully built and a great little sea boat and was in excellent shape when we sold her to the fellow from Texas. We had intended to keep her forever but when we adopted a second child she was just too small for the four of us so we regretably sold her and purchased the Cherubini 48 that we still have (also hull #1).

It pains us to here that she is now apparently abandoned in a yard near you. Is she still there? If so, I’d be interested in knowing more as I am now retired and in a better position to possibly get her sailing again. You can reach me at rossocorrecto@yahoo.com if you have any information to share.

Thanks,
Pat FitzGerald

So a bit of an update:
About 9 months ago wile working on the cockpit I noticed some slack in the shrouds on the foremast. I would tighten them and in 20 minutes they would be slack again. after doing this at least 3 time I inspected the mast step… It was mush! so I pulled the mast and did a refinish and made a new step. Pictures attached… The Schooner might sail one day

Lima

For a boat that was going to take 6 months to sort, it’s now been 2 years come February. I have set a HARD date for the 1st “Sail” of Feb 10. Being that it will be my 60th birthday seems like a good day.
Basically could sail now but want to get a few things worked out 1st.
I did buy a NEW sail… What is a schooner without a fisherman-staysail.
I still need to get some basic electronics installed. VHF and openplotter on a Pi4

4 Likes

Sailed Saturday!!!
All went well boat was fantastic.
I got 1 picture, a random find on FB of the mountains (nothing to do with sailing)

1 Like

Unfortunately, I fell into the refit rabbit hole for years, life moved on, and I had to sell the boat before using it. I’m glad you climbed out.

1 Like