Bronze Star, for Bowsprit

Does anyone know where to order a 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" diameter, with a 3/8" shank,

Bronze 5 Point Star, for the end of a BCC bowsprit, and the current price for one ?

I did see the Bronze Stars that are available from P T Foundry, in their catalog, but I am looking for a star with a cast 3/8" shank, and a smaller diameter.

Douglas

You may want to check with Spartan Marine Hardware. They had several card
tables full of Bronze boat blings at the recent show in Portland Maine.
David

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-bccforum@coledata.com [mailto:owner-bccforum@coledata.com] On
Behalf Of BCC Forums
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:10 AM
To: bccforum@samlmorse.com
Subject: [BCC Forum Post] Douglas: Bronze Star, for Bowsprit

Author: Douglas
Username: Douglas
Subject: Bronze Star, for Bowsprit
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,6496,6496#msg-6496

Does anyone know where to order a 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" diameter, with a 3/8"
shank,

Bronze 5 Point Star, for the end of a BCC bowsprit, and the current price
for one ?

I did see the Bronze Stars that are available from P T Foundry, in their
catalog, but I am looking for a star with a cast 3/8" shank, and a smaller
diameter.

Douglas

Sumio was able to supply them through the Sam L. Morse office a couple of years ago so it is possible that some remaining stock may have transferred to Cape George along with all the other BCC goods. Might be worth a call to them.
Scott

T Y, David , I will be attending the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic, at the end of June, and will look at the Spartan Marine booth for a bronze star.

T Y, too, Scott, I also asked where to find a bronze star on the wooden boat forum, and it was pointed out to me that there have been thefts of those bronze stars mounted on bowsprits, in one case the end of the bowsprit was sawn right off to get the star, sooooo I will still try to get a star , but while my boat is in Asia, will not mount it .

Douglas BCC # 72

Douglas: Hi!

I think you just need a condom to cover the bowsprit and star from view. Zygote’s bowsprit condom is Sunbrella, made by Bob Baltierra, and removes the star from temptation and slows the attack on the brightwork from UV.

Downwind Marine in San Diego - which I reckon is one of the world’s best chandleries in terms of having the quality goods that a cruiser needs on the shelves - most always has a few bronze stars for sale.

I’ve seen two kinds of bronze stars, all five pointers but with different mounts: those with a central screw; and those with two prongs.

Cheers

Bil

Douglas,

I’ll probably be at the WB show in Mystic too. Let’s plan a rendezvous. Will you be sailing there?

Gee Ben, don’t I wish, that I was sailing there, but alas my BCC is still in lay-up, near-by, to S’pore.

Are you expecting to sail Elizabeth to the WB Show ?

Obviously we could share some notes on our BCC’s if we meet up at Mystic, but we would have to bring heaps of photos, if our boats are not there.

Bil is right about “Downwind Marine” in San Diego, a Chandlery for cruisers it is, they even have a loaner pick-up for their yachty customers to use, oh , why couldn’t all chandleries be like that ?

BCC Elizabeth must be somewhere in mid eastern states by now ?

Hi Bil, I thought “Paladin” on the WB Forum had a great idea about fastening his bronze star with a through pin intersecting the star shank, to prevent theft, but maybe it was that he gold plated it, and the thief couldn’t stop himself, isn’t that what Averous (sp-?) is all about, well he got v sour after that thief sawed off the end of his bowsprit, to get that star!

Yes, you are right, if you have something of value, cover it up !
I wish that you were coming to the Mystic WB Show, too.

Spring is here, Happy Sailing, everyone .

Douglas

ELiza is in MA, but arrived too late to get off-loaded today… first thing tomorrow AM. Truck got a flat evidently. I don’t expect to sail to WB show… but maybe that’s a good goal.

Singapore?