Builder's Nameplate

Hi All,

I noticed pictures of BCC’s with the builder’s nameplate.

Anyone know if there are any left, and how I can get one?

Thanks,
Mark Gearhart
s/v Godspeed

Mark,

is there a link to a pic with this nameplate you mean… curious to know what you are speaking of.

Is this the name plate you are looking for?

I asked Sumio two years ago about the nameplate. He said that he needed to place an order of so many before they would be available. I guess that never happened but still would like to have one. They look like they were cast, less the hull number, so hence the need for the order Sumio spoke of. Anyone know where they were made?? Roger???

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise

These plaques or nameplates were made to prove that the Bristol Channel Cutter was built and completed by the Sam L. Morse Company. These plaques were not to go on any other boats that were anything less than a semi-complete BCC. I remember this was an issue when Sumio first took over the company. People wanted those plaques and Sumio stated that he would give one to anyone who had a SLM built BCC.

That said, Pete Langley at Port Townsend foundry has the mold for the plate. You will have to take the issue up with him.

Roger

OK, thanks Roger. I’ll give him a call.

Mark

I sent an email to Pete Langley this morning and received the following in return.

Bob & Lois

BCC Jolie Brise

Yes we can make them, all thought the castings have a high failure rate, do to the design detail of the letters the are engraved instead of stand as those of the SAM L. MORSE in the center.

We had proposed back when! to redo the pattern so that all lettering would be raised and then two fine raised oval borders. One outside and one inside framing the Bristol Channel Cutter and hull no. The actual number would be stamped into a raised boss that is at the same height as the borders and lettering. This way the center will remain the same and for all other that were home built the Sam L. Morse could be replaced with any name.

Now if we are to make the original, the cost would be around $65.00 each and if we did the redesign they would be the same size and run around $25.00 with out any additional name changes in the center.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to share with others and we can make as many as needed.

Thanks
Pete Langley
Port Townsend Foundry LLC
251 Otto St
Port Townsend WA 98368
V-360 385 6425
F-360 385 1947
The Bigger the Dream, The Larger the Reality