Dealing with holding tank capacity

I’m considering the purchase of a Bristol Channel Cutter. I can deal with the water and fuel capacity, but I would like to learn how owners deal with 15 gal holding capacity, especially when crusing inshore.

Best regards to the Forum…

We installed the new Ronco holding tank and Raritan PHII head last year. We cruise-out for weekends and a week at a time and have yet to fill up the tank. We may be a little retentive? :slight_smile:

We dry flush as much as possible, little water chaser as necessary, with the tow of us this system seems to work well. O course, when we go off shore 3 miles it bombs away.

Marty

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: swodog
Username: swodog
Subject: Dealing with holding tank capacity
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4199,4199#msg-4199

I’m considering the purchase of a Bristol Channel Cutter. I can deal with the water and fuel capacity, but I would like to learn how owners deal with 15 gal holding capacity, especially when crusing inshore.

Best regards to the Forum…

I estimate the volume of IDUNA’s holding tank is between 15 and 20 gallons. The head is a Lavac vacuum head. As is the case with Shamrock, we (two adults) can “go” for about 1 week before the holding tank must be pumped-out.

Let’s assume two adults add about 3 gallons of effluent to the holding tank per day, then a 15 gallon holding tank has 5 days capacity. Based on our experience and the experience of other cruisers, a 15 to 20 gallon holding tank will have to be pumped out after 5 to 7 days.

These numbers are good approximates for 49 of the 50 states. If you live in Texas, you will need a larger holding tank.

Rod

Thanks for the great info. Being a former Navy man, we will probably have to “fast cruise” next to the pier to get a feel for how quickly we fill the holding tank. Then I suppose, I should have handy the position of every accessible marina in the Chesapeake and along the IWC.