Dimensions for dorade vent

Can anyone provide me with the dimensions for a dorade box that will be used to mount a 4" cowl vent? I’d like to utilize the stock dimensions if possible. Also, is it advisable to mount the box via some type of cleat instead of directly to the cabin roof? My thinking is that if the vent/box was lost or damaged at least it wouldn’t require remounting under the cabin roof.

Lanny Luhmann Hull# 35
Minneapolis, MN

You might give a look to Marinershardware.com. They have all the supplies and some articles on the logic for the size of the box as well as ideas and options for securing the setup to the deck of cabin trunk.

Tom

In Larry Pardey’s book “Details of Classic Yacht Construction” he gives Olin Stephens’ rules for determining the size of each piece of the dorade box. I don’t know what the original reference is but Larry’s rules are easy to use.

Mike

Here is a wild ideas. Why not call Sumio Oya and ask him to make you some dorade boxes, a little bit of works helps keep the business and the BCC alive.

Marty Chin

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: pelorus32
Username: pelorus32
Subject: Re: Dimensions for dorade vent
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,3760,3958#msg-3958

In Larry Pardey’s book “Details of Classic Yacht Construction” he gives Olin Stephens’ rules for determining the size of each piece of the dorade box. I don’t know what the original reference is but Larry’s rules are easy to use.

Mike

The dimensions for a BCC dorade vent box are as follows: 14" long by 7" wide. Height is 6.5" outer side and 4.75" inner side (curve of deck). Hope this helps.

Mark Gearhart
s/v Godspeed