Downsizing to a Falmouth Cutter 22? Considerations?

Hello,
This past year I’ve been considering going to a smaller boat. I currently have a Westsail 32 and while I love her I just don’t get out as much I used to.

Anyone have any experience going from a 30 + footer to a FC 22? Regrets ?

A FC will sail faster than your WS 32 , but you will find it more tender .

I lived on my W32 for about a decade, back in the 90’s, and sailed regularly in San Francisco Bay area; then I got married and sold my boat. I bought my FC22 when I retired, since I wanted to get back on the water, and knew I wasn’t going to live aboard; the FC22 is wonderful, fun to sail, and absolutely beautiful; but it does feel a lot smaller. The FC22 can sail in any weather, and cruise comfortably over several days, no problem; but there’s really only room for 2 people down below or in the cockpit (unlike the Westsail, which held 4 easily). If you don’t plan to live aboard, and only sail solo or with one other person, I think you’d be very happy with, and feel right at home on, a FC22. I’m now 10 years past retirement, and am thinking of selling my boat since I don’t use her enough either; I’ve taken up rowing and that’s how I get out on the water these days.

Thanks for your reply! We have the same taste in boats! lol
I’ve been using my westsail mainly as a floating cottage but with such short seasons its becoming more work and less fun.

Any regrets going from a westsail to an FC22?

I’ve never been inside an FC22 but I’m okay with less space. I find the bigger the boat the more work and the less it gets out on the water.

Is it really a towable boat or do you need a half or full ton pick up?

I almost bought another W32 after I retired because I still love Westsails; but I realized I didn’t need that size boat if I wasn’t going to live on it, or cruise across oceans. Everything is easier with a smaller boat, and the FC22 is still a sturdy, heavy displacement, cruise-capable boat. A friend of mine downsized from a W32 to a Flicka, but I like the FC22 much better than the Flicka.

The FC22 is perfect for me now, no regrets at all; except that I recently got into long distance open-water rowing, and now I’m doing much more rowing than sailing.

The FC22 is towable, road-legal at 8’ beam; I’ve not towed mine, but I’m pretty sure it needs a serious pick-up to pull it. I have a VW Eurovan, so the only thing I tow is my 100lb rowing boat.

I send you a private message with a question if you are okay to answer it. Not sure if you got the notification

I downsized from a Vancouver 25 to a falmouth cutter, hull #5, Mijita. I love the way she moves through the water and the ease I have to reduce sail. I installed two furlers making life easier for this 77 year old sailer sailing on San Francisco Bay.

If you reef early, she is not tender.

She has less room below but is fine for two over nighting for 5 days or so.