Engine shift/control

this looks like the one at Go2Marine…

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86333F

I ordered one too…

The Kobelt is certainly not cheap. For the bronze model, together with the cables, I believe I paid about $700 - pricey, but I agree with Rod’s comments regarding installing the best available given that I plan on keeping my BCC for a long, long time.

Gary
Dioscouri (#064)

The other solution is to use a simple double lever control - separate transmission and throttle. I greased the cables leading to IDUNA’s engine controls. As we all know, the other key to keeping “stuff” running is maintenance and grease is our friend. Salt corrosion is our nemesis.

I have a Kobelt 2042 LW1. The brochure is here

http://www.kobelt.com/product_detail.php?id_product=169

but note that for some unknown reason they don’t list
the W option I have (and didn’t when I got it either).

L = polished brass finish
W = removable handle
1 = neutral position is handle up

The brochure does not have a picture of the removable
handle. It is brass with a black knob at the end.
This option is good for when you are sailing and don’t
want sheets to catch on it.

The unit is die cast silicon bronze with stainless steel hardware.
Kobelt calls it heavy duty. Indeed, it is massive overkill.
It didn’t take too many experiences with an unreliable control
to convince me that this one was worth every penny. Which
was $484 Canadian when I bought it. Add tax and cables etc.

The reason to keep the boat after putting this in is so you
can enjoy it longer. It has great look and feel and works
great too. No regrets, I’d do it again in a flash.

• Norris, Bristol Cream

Norris or anyone with the Kobalt. How was the install on it? Enough room inside the boat? Any problems or modifications at all? Seems like a fairly straight forward retrofit.

How was the install on it? Enough room inside the boat? Any problems or >modifications at all? Seems like a fairly straight forward retrofit.

It was very straightforward for me. Mine is on the port side of the cockpit which has direct access to the engine. It was just a matter of cutting the hole and
putting the control into it. What more would you like to know? Any more
dimensions? Clearance inside is one thing, but you will want to make sure
you have clearance for the lever movement in the cockpit also.

- Norris

Installed new Teleflex unit, working like a champ (like all things new usually do):

And for kicks, a pic of some new decoration painted by my friend Adam Smith:

Norris,
I also like the looks of the Kobelt controls for a long time. I was planning to buy model 2044 because according to the online catalogue was the only Kobelt control with removable handle.

Do you have a model 2042 or 2044 with removable handle (option W)?

If option W is also available for the 2042 I would prefer it because is smaller.

If you could confirm your model no. please let me know.

Regards,

Hi Luis -

I also like the looks of the Kobelt controls for a
long time. I was planning to buy model 2044
because according to the online catalogue was the
only Kobelt control with removable handle.

The looks are even better in person.

Do you have a model 2042 or 2044 with removable
handle (option W)?

It’s a 2042 with removable handle (option W). No doubts.
I have no idea why they don’t list it.

If you have trouble ordering it let me know and I might
be able to get you a contact at Kobelt for this unit.

• Norris

Gary,

Which neutral position did you specify for the bronze Kobelt? Have you tried fitting it yet?

Mark

Xiphias

Mark,
Haven’t purchased mine yet. Waiting for biz to pick up.

I guess there are 2 Gary’s here - I have purchased my Kobelt, but have not yet installed it. I am not sure what neutral position I specified, but I know I ordered the same unit that Norris has on Bristol Cream

Gary
Dioscouri (#064)

Dioscouri Wrote:

I guess there are 2 Gary’s here - I have purchased
my Kobelt, but have not yet installed it. I am
not sure what neutral position I specified, but I
know I ordered the same unit that Norris has on
Bristol Cream

Gary
Dioscouri (#064)

Hi Gary,

How did this work out? I am about to take the plunge and order a Kobelt.

Regards,

Mark

BCC Xiphias

i have the kobelt without the neutral safety switch. just a personal preference, i didn’t want to find myself in a situation where i was unable to start my engine because of a faulty safety switch. i’m happy with this shifter, i had a teleflex on my last boat and am glad i didn’t install another on little pearl. i was not big fan each time the shifter rod came out of the unit as i was docking. ugh!

the kobelt shifter is installed on little pearl. i ordered the unit without the neutral safety. i didn’t want to be unable to start my engine because of a faulty safety switch.

my last boat had a teleflex handle that was removable. had a couple of “oops” incidents when docking with the handle pulling out…

i’m am please with the koblet shifter. the heft of the unit is impressive. i would buy it again if need be.

i am pleased with the kobelt shifter on little pearl. i choose the unit with no neutral safety switch. i wanted to avoid the situation of being unable to start my engine because of a faulty safety switch.

i sailed with a telefex control of my last boat for approx ten years. not a big fan of the removable handle-it detached on several occassions as i was docking.

fwiw- the heft and impressive contruction of the kobelt shifter was startling.

P7030034.jpg

I am very pleased with the Kobelt shift/control. It is very robust. I was surprised at the amount of corrosion on the Morse control that it replaced. I have no regrets about installing this unit.

Dioscouri (#064)
Gary

Thanks Jo Anne and Gary. No better recomendation than from fellow owners and the bronze unit looks fabulous.

Mark

BCC Xiphias

Ahoy All,

I was hoping to check in to see if anyone who had installed the Kobelt models has a 3GM30F?

We’re hoping to replace our original 35 year old Morse MV-2 with either a 2042 or 2044. Looking at the Yanmar tech pub, the gear box requires 3 inches of travel, which eliminated the Kobelt 2042.

It looks like the 2044 will work for us but I’m having a hard time getting confirmation from either Mack Boring or Kobelt that the 2044 will definitively meet the required throttle travel (I couldn’t find anything in the tech pub).

If anyone has any experience on this it would make us feel much better that this is definitely the right solution before we cough up so many ‘boat bucks’

Cheers,
Mike
CYMBA BCC #77

Hi Mike, as you can see from the posts I was looking at a new shifter. The Kobalt just proved to be too expensive for me so I went with a Vetus Sisco engine control . Nice Crome plating over bronze has held up extremely well over 9 years. No signs yet of corrosion on the chrome. Still nice a positive on the shifts. Good news is the unit is recommended by Yanmar. I have included links to Yanmar rec and source for shifter. Plus a photo of my unit at 9yo.

What ever you decide, good luck and good sailing.

Vetus for Yanmar

1 Like