engine soundproofing

i am attaching new insulation to the areas surrounding the engine compartment. I would appreciate any recommendations for a product that works.

thanks in advance for taking the time to reply

Hi Jo Anne,

I’m about to do some engine soundproofing too. I bought some West Marine foam sandwich engine insulation which I’ll use on some surfaces. However, my engine box is too close to parts of the engine to use foam easily. I’ve seen a sample use of Silent Running paint (you can find it online). Two thick coats apparently approaches the sound-deadening qualities of some brands of solid insulation. Presumably a third coat would help even more. I haven’t used this yet, but I did see a test panel. Pounding on one side of a non-treated piece of wood and then on the painted panel, seemed to demonstrate pretty impressive sound deadening. I’ll probably buy some and give it a try - it ain’t cheap.

Good luck.

Derek Lundy
BCC 23, “Gertrud”

derek,

didn’t know about the “silent running”. anybody out there used it or a similar product?

derek,

didn’t know about the “silent running”. how long is it supposed to last?

i’m not a huge fan of the panels. i’m interested in an alternative. anybody out there used “silent running” or similar product?

maybe my new engine will be sooo quiet that i won’t need soundproofing :slight_smile:

Jo Anne,

It’s supposed to be as permanent a fix as the regular forms of insulation. I’m also interested in whether anyone else out there has used Silent Running. I’ll probably be able to apply some within the next few weeks and will report back.

Derek Lundy
BCC 23 “Gertrud”

i look forward to your post about the results.

derek,

here’s an sound deadening plywood. http://worldpanel.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Accply.

Jo Anne,

Interesting. Perhaps a good material to start with and then insulate - multiply the effect. At least in areas where you don’t need better-looking wood.

Derek Lundy
BCC 23 “Gertrud”

after removing the 20 something year old foam engine soundproofing, i’m going with the acoutiscal plywood. i swore an oath that nasty “foam” or anything similar was not going back into the boat.

the engine not going in until the end of the year, so it’ll be awhile before i know how effective the sound-deadening plywood is.

Derek and jo anne,
Did either of you use the silent running? any comments?

Gary,

Sorry, no, nothing to report as yet. I’m still planning on insulating the engine compartment and will do it at some point in the next few months. I’ve decided to use a combination of foam, and Silent Running paint where there’s no room for anything thicker. I’ll certainly report back when I get an idea of how the paint stacks up. I have been aboard a local boat that used the paint exclusively. My impression was that it was as good as average foam insulation. However, Silent Running prescribes 2 coats; this owner had used 3 - apparently the thicker the better.

Derek Lundy
BCC 23 “Gertrud”

gary,

nothing to report yet. the engine won’t be in for 3months or so.

and i’m going with the sound deadening wood panels.

I redid my compartment with some 1" foam I got a WM last May. It was enough that this more or less slightly deaf person could hear crew talk a lot easier. IIRC it was $120’ish for a 3x6 sheet of the foam, with tape and nails to hold it in place. The backing was a peel back paper with glue already on it.