Falmouth Cutter vs Nor'sea 27

I know that the Nor’sea isn’t a Morse-built boat, but does anyone here have any first hand experience with both boats? I’m a long way from buying any kind of boat of my own, but doing lots of online/paper-based research, and I’ve seen nothing but good things about the various Lyle Hess-designed small boats. I’m looking at small boats for possible long-term cruising for two, and the Nor’sea 27 and Falmouth Cutter tend to fall into the same price category. I’ve got a spreadsheet with various boat statistics on it, and they seem fairly similar in size, but I’ve never read any direct comparisons between the two.

Any help?

Thanks!

People have sailed just about any vessel you can imagine to some of the most remote destinations around the world. Lyn and Larry Pardey circumnavigated little Sarafyn for 13 years, for may years it was the perfect vessel for them.

It depends on personal preference, which is very subjective to your own personal comfort levels, space requirements. In good condition, both the Falmouth and the Nor’sea 27 are very seaworth vessels. We have know friends who have crossed oceans in both vessels.

As a personal opinion, in no way reflects the sutibility of a vessel for a particular purpose, I would opt for the larger BCC. We have sailed both the Falmouth and Nor’sea 27, both sailed well, but we opted for larger accomidations, ability to carry more stores, again personal preference, we like the interior and deck layout and accessability to systems for maintenance.

We are in the boating business, as such, our business to look for flaws, workmanship issues, structural design, form, fit and function; unlike most boaters, we spent so many years look for and at flaws, it kind of sucks the romance right out of boating. For us, it is looking for the boat with the least number of flaws coupled with the best design and construction features and sailing abilities which meets our needs.

Our advise, don’t take anyone’s word for what is the best vessel, make friends and go sailing with them, help them do the dirty work of repairing broken systems, varnish and wood work and yes, even wash the boat. You’ll be supprised how much you can learn about a particular vessel when washing and detailing a boat.

Cheers,

Marty Chin, BCC Shamrock

BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Author: Hypothetical
Username: Hypothetical
Subject: Falmouth Cutter vs Nor’sea 27
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,4490,4490#msg-4490

I know that the Nor’sea isn’t a Morse-built boat, but does anyone here have any first hand experience with both boats? I’m a long way from buying any kind of boat of my own, but doing lots of online/paper-based research, and I’ve seen nothing but good things about the various Lyle Hess-designed small boats. I’m looking at small boats for possible long-term cruising for two, and the Nor’sea 27 and Falmouth Cutter tend to fall into the same price category. I’ve got a spreadsheet with various boat statistics on it, and they seem fairly similar in size, but I’ve never read any direct comparisons between the two.

Any help?

Thanks!