Fiberglass combings

Having cleared the deck for a paint job, I’m looking at either reinstalling the old combings or building new ones. I find the fiberglass combings- those with on- deck storage) interesting and am giving some thought to building those in wood. I can source inexpensive materials here in Asia. Would anyone know if the plans are available somewhere? From the looks and functionality for protection, storage and seating of these combings, I think it would be well worth the effort. Anyone with them think otherwise?

where are ya in SE Asia Warren?

Based in Tokyo and sail on Tokyo Bay to points south and west out of Yokohama.

I have thought about making up some wood variation should you go through with this we would like to “see the results”. My thoughts are a tad higher and an internal support for the winch base. A fair local carpenter probably can do it, Fasten with good support (thru-bolt).
Nate

nathaniel berkowitz, sausalito california

tel: 415 331 3314 fax: 415 331 1854

email:nathanielsf@yahoo.com

— On Sun, 1/11/09, BCC Forums bccforums@samlmorse.com wrote:
Subject: [BCC Forum Post] wfraser: Fiberglass combings
To: bccforum@samlmorse.com
Date: Sunday, January 11, 2009, 8:59 PM

Author: wfraser
Username: wfraser
Subject: Fiberglass combings
Forum: BCC Forum
Link: http://www.samlmorse.com/forum/read.php?5,7488,7488#msg-7488

Having cleared the deck for a paint job, I’m looking at either reinstalling
the old combings or building new ones. I find the fiberglass combings- those
with on- deck storage) interesting and am giving some thought to building those
in wood. I can source inexpensive materials here in Asia. Would anyone know if
the plans are available somewhere? From the looks and functionality for
protection, storage and seating of these combings, I think it would be well
worth the effort. Anyone with them think otherwise?

I like the idea of fiberglass coamings with built in storage. One way to build coamings is to build port and starboard (male molds) coamings out of plywood then cast a female mold using GRP. Make the coaming out of GRP using the female mold.

A faster method (one-off) to build them is to make the coaming out of Coosa board then cover the outside and inside with GRP. This construction method yields light weight, strong coamings. This method would be my choice. Thin high quality plywood could be use in place of the Coosa board.

rod

Rod,

How do you think Balsa would work for this? I’m considering building small combings for my W32 and know that balsa is very easy to bend and mold to shapes. Further, I’m considering building a FRP turtle assembly for my companionway hatch.

Do you know the approximate cost for Coosa panel? Are they flexible or sandable to shape?

Thanks for your time,
Aaron N.

Aaron:

Coosa board is expensive compared to balsa coring or high quality plywood, such as Okumi marine plywood (~$70/4mm full sheet, 2006 price). I do not know the current prices for Coosa board. Contact contact@coosacompostes.com and ask them for a dealer in your area. They should be able give you MSRP.

Coosa board is a polyurethane fiberglass composite and is available in 1/4" to 2" thickness. Based on the material in the board, I would think it is sandable and the thinner stock is flexible enough to build coamings and seahoods.

Go to their website and view the products page.

Contact contact@coozacomposites.com for MSRP and dealers in your area.

Balsa coring should work but you will have to build a form or mold to support the coring while laying up the fiberglass.

Cheers,

R