fuel sounding rod

I have lost my fuel sounding stick. I have the standard 37 gal tank. Can someone please give me the template for the various fuel level marks,

Thanks,
Jim Hiller

Jim:

I saw your email as I was out the door to the boat.....here's what I know:

Last winter I drained my fuel tank to check for gunk and/or left over manufacturing debries. I also wanted to know the actual tank capacity. I used a 3/8" copper tube hooked to an oil change pump to drain it. I got all I could by going through the filler neck to the bottom of the tank. I got a few aluminum filings but it was otherwise clean as a whistle.
I then refilled it to the top of the crossbar visible in the filler neck. The dip-stick measurements for 5 and 10 gallons are 5 5/16" and 8 3/16"…measured with the boat in the water, floating on her lines. With 10 gallons left, I figure I have a minimum of 18 hours run time with 2 gallons left in the tank.
I also only got 29.5 gallons in to the top of that crossbar. My memory is that Roger told me that they changed the fabrication of the fuel tank sometime shortly before my boat (#118) was built. He thought the capacity might have been reduced in the process. It might be interesting to hear if Tom Unruh or Bil Hansen has gone through a similar exercise.

Best regards...........Tom

Hi Jim, If you have the standard tank, I think it is 32 gallons, not 37 gallons. I do not remember on your boat but we used to install a 40 gallong tank but it extened into the port side cockpit locker. So, as Tom says, we had to cut one side off the tank which did provide a 37 gallon tank. With that said, would you check your tank to see if it has one side cut off? Also, if you can get a mirror over your tank, there is a lable that states the capacity. If it is the standard 32 gallon tank I can provide you with a measurement for every 5 gallons. On my own tank (32 gallon), I installed a sight glass on the front of the tank that runs from the top to the bottom. When I filled it the first time I used a 5 gallon jug and marked the glass accordingly.

Lets make this simple, call Sumio, ask him to check your file to see the size of tank installed then ask him to give you the measurements from their pattern.

If you want to respond to me personally on this matter or if you want me to get you the measurements mentioned above use this address: xiphias37@yahoo.com

Roger Olson

Hi Roger,
Unfortunately Sumio is not certain of the tank measurement. I spoke with him yesterday. Since I am hull 120 I assume it would be the same as Tom’s who is hull 118. His measured 29 gal which is 32 in my book.
I wonder if the sounding rod Sumio provided with the boat was accurate to start with. ?
I would appreciate your measurements Roger. I’ll make up a stick based on those and Tom’s
Jimmy

Hi Roger,
Unfortunately Sumio is not certain of the tank measurement. I spoke with him yesterday. Since I am hull 120 I assume it would be the same as Tom’s who is hull 118. His measured 29 gal which is 32 in my book.
I wonder if the sounding rod Sumio provided with the boat was accurate to start with. ?
I would appreciate your measurements Roger. I’ll make up a stick based on those and Tom’s
Jimmy

Jim, consider it done but it could be a few days before I get to the boat.

Roger

Hi Jim, I got the measurements. However, no two tanks are built exactly alike since they are built one at a time when needed. So an exact measuremnt is not possible but it will be close.

I do not have a 5 gallon mark.
10 gallons: 5-1/2 inches from the bottom
15 gallons: 9 inches from the bottom
20 gallons: 12 inches from the bottom
25 gallons: 14-3/4 inches from the bottom
30 gallons: 17 inches from the bottom

I hope this helps…

Roger

WOW that sure differs from Tom Harrer’s measurements.
Thanks Roger. Hope all is well
Jim

Jim:

I will be changing my oil in the near future.  I'll be happy to measure my fuel tank while rattling around the engine bay if that will help.  I'm fairly confident that I got my tank empty last winter....I checked with my dip stick after pumping it out and saw nothing on the stick.  Let me know if you would like me to measure the tank.  direct email = whitewings@charter.net

Tom

Hi, all,

I’ve been using 29.5 gallons as my working assumption since our first fill-up in Newport Beach, when (oops) we filled it to the top …

Sorry, I can’t give you our stick measurements, as Galatea is in Oz and we’re in Colorado.

All the best,
Tom
BCC 117 Galatea

Zygote copies Roger’s Nereus and has a sight glass instead of a sounding rod.

The sight glass adds risk, ie if the glass is broken, but that risk is miminimized by having cocks that can isolate the glass. The benefits, apart from quick visual confirmation of remaining fuel, include not running the risk of water etc contamination of the fuel when opening to insert a sounding rod.

As you can see from the attached photo (Zupperfueltank.jpg) we followed Roger in marking the sight glass in 5 US gallon increments. The lower edge of each band is the 5 gal mark.

I’m an agnostic with respect to fuel tank capacity. I regard the important element to be the fuel that can be recovered. That means I regard anything from 5 - 10% of my tankage as not recoverable.

So I regard this upper tank (Zygote has a second Berry tank in the deep bilge, more-or-less under the companionway. The upper tank feeds into the lower tank and the lower tank feeds to the diesel devices. The engine returns fuel to the upper tank. Both tanks are vented) as holding 29 US gals (count them - five 5 gal markers and 4 gals above the top marker band).

Cheers

Bil